Getting at a 95 limited heater blower motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting at a 95 limited heater blower motor

spguest

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
Hi – I have a ’95 Limited with EATC. Recently it smelt as if something was burning outside but not inside and I could not find the cause. Then the blower motor stopped but it will rotate slowly if tapped. As it will spin slowly I am assuming the fuses and relays are working. Thus I think it is the blower control module - part # F1SH 19E624 AC. After searching the forum my attempt to fix this has left me puzzled and I have a few related questions.
  1. I can’t move the reservoir bottle unit far enough away to get good access to the fan and control unit. The air intake duct is in the way. The manual says pop it off its pins and pull it away from the fender. It pops off the bottom just fine but is attached by a fixing above which will not release. I tried prying it out, first the center pin and then the whole unit – but it won’t budge. What is the trick to remove this round type of air intake duct?
  2. As I searched for the solution to this I found what looks like a switch hanging loosely between the reservoir bottle unit and the air intake duct. Looking at the design it seems it once bolted to the fender. In this location it should have been pressed when the hood closed. I tried pressing it to see if something like the hood light went out but nothing seemed to happen. It is not in my manual. What is it supposed to do and why should it be left hanging loose?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

should be able to remove the 4 bolts holding the reservoir bottles and move it forward far enough to clear to remove the blower motor. I believe 1AAuto did a video on it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I watched the 1aauto videos. The air intake in their video is a rectangular box type and not the one which takes the conical filter. They also do not have the switch I discovered.

I found another site metacafe with a similar video which has the switch in place with the need to remove it but the person does not say why it is there.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5847700/how_to_replace_blower_motor_resistor_in_a_1995_ford_explorer/

Interestingly this video has the conical air intake, but the reference to use a flat blade screw driver does not appear to work on mine!

Hi Tony
Thanks for the video link. Yes this looks more like mine than the Explorer used in your other videos on removal of the blower fan and control unit. On the Explorer this does not quiet give the clearance to remove the blower motor without some really carefull manipulation which I eventually worked out plus a little luck. Thank goodness for the slight flat edge on the motor's mounting plate.

Do you have a video on how to remove the air duct on this type?

Likewise - I am still confused about the switch which has been removed between the bottle unit and the sir duct.

Thanks for the link but this is not the part for the Automatic Heater. This is the resister unit for the manual version. I could not locate the part on the 1AAuto site :-(

Hi Tony
I dug deeper and found what might be the unit on your site. It is listed for 98-01 as a blower motor module. Would this be the same unit for the 95 automatic heater system?

I have the part number of the unit in my car - listed at the start of the thread - and it is not the same as the replacement part number on your product. Yet this is what it looks like.

Hi Tony
I dug deeper and found what might be the unit on your site. It is listed for 98-01 as a blower motor module. Would this be the same unit for the 95 automatic heater system?

I have the part number of the unit in my car - listed at the start of the thread - and it is not the same as the replacement part number on your product. Yet this is what it looks like.

I checked on this part this morning for you, and I don't have a supplier for these. Was hoping that I could help you out with this one.

Sorry, just don't have a source for that part at the current time.

Tony

Replacing the F1SH 19E624 AC

Hi
Can someone either confirm or deny that a replacement for the part I am seeking - part # F1SH 19E624 AC - can be replaced by part F7SZ 19E624 BB. Some say it can and other say no. I understand if this is a replacement it will require a chance of the plug with the slicing of cables.

The other solution would appear to be to see if a company like Cottage Technology can repair my existing part.

Heater fixed and it was not the control module

Well I have a functioning heater/AC unit again. It was a little of a challenge which caused me to waste a lot of time. I made a diagnostic mistake and thought I would share it for others.

I took the heater blower motor out and tested it. It worked fine. To save the fan I placed it on its back. Several suggested it was the dreaded control module. I was about to send my module to Cottage Technology for a rebuild. Anthony at Cottage Technology suggested a way of testing the module before I sent it. This was to short out the top two contacts and the blower motor should run, but it did NOT run as expected.

To confirm I had a good blower motor I tested it in the housing. This time I used a circuit tester in one of the connections. The tester only showed flow when I tapped the motor. I bought a new motor, swapped the fan, installed it and everything burst into life.

Seems the motor worked fine on its back but not when in the normal horizontal position. All is now well plus I got to clean up the contacts on the control module as well.

Thanks to all the members for your help here and at other times.

Back