Getting better Gas mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting better Gas mileage

G

gensic11

What is the quickest, cheapest.. etc well what is the best way to gain a few miles for gas mileage? my gas mileage isnt that bad.. 20 gal tank i get around 300 miles.. equals about 15mpg (city).. highway al ittle more than that but im hoping i can get up to around 20 mpg.. if it's possible.. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New Spark Plugs and wires

Clean MAF sensor

New Air Filter

Make sure tires are properly inflated

Don't drive it like you stole it.

I doubt your going to get 20 MPG City on an X in stock form. I get about 18 MPG city on fresh plugs and wires.

I get 22-24 in town and 30 on the highway in my 99.

Modified also. Won't touch that in stock form.

I know many stockExplorers thatget upto 22 on thehighway.

I get about 21 on the highway, bone stock. :)

I thought he ment 20 City. That would be pretty tough in stock form.

I got about 23 MPG on the highway going to Port Aransas, and I am totally stock with anti-fuel gearing. Part of that mileage was me gunning it around the beach, so I bet the mileage may have been even more. :D

I noticed all you guys have v-6's, there is no way I can get close to 20 MPG's with v-8 and AWD, I think the best we ever got babying the throttle was 18, with my heavy foot I probably get 14-15, my Wifes drive can get slighlty better mileage than I do.

Originally posted by gensic11
What is the quickest, cheapest.. etc well what is the best way to gain a few miles for gas mileage?

Besides getting a tune-up, you could start emptying out your junk in your trunk area. The more dead weight you have the less mpg.

Your best mileage gains will occur when you control yourright foot.

1st of All I think "drive it like you stole it" means driving slow, like when you look in your rear view mirror and see a cop right behind you and you do like 1 over the limit just so you do not look suspicious.

2nd ALDIVE i am down in Venice i think i need to drive up the road and talk to you about better mpg 15.2 to 16 city:D

3rd delivering pizza in my truck now :( the buick tranny is slipping I am going to drop the pan tomm. rain or not and change the filter, first time for everything,, it has 199,368 miles I bought it for $500 2 yrs and 65,000 miles ago, not bad for the money.

4th I am going to take the truck t the shop and have them change the tranny filter and gasket, not a flush. And watch them so i can do it next time.

5th if a fat kid in a green X delivers your pizza give him 4 or 5 bucks, still in college and have no money,

6th good news $1,150 to pay off the truck!!!!:D

i've gotten about 24 on the highway

... probably another way is to take the flattest/shortest route to places you go, i.e., work, store, etc.

I live and work in a pretty hilly area, so I'm sure that adversely affects my mpg.

I also am Mr. Freeze according to passengers, therefore I probably hurt my mpg by running my A/C and keeping it 58F in my X.

I have aggressive tread tires and my right foot has a mind of its own, therefore I am happy if I get ~15+mpg.

I don't think getting 20+ in a 5.0 AWD Ex would be that hard, honestly.
I'm now averaging 16-17mpg with a mix of hwy and city. That's bone stock. I plan on gettin a K&N FIPK, then puttin my Granatelli MAF back on, and hoping to get a little more out of that.
and right now my Ex has like 110k miles on it.. so I doubt 20mpg hwy will be that hard.

oh yeah.. and I have quite the lead foot.

I *was* averaging 12-14mpg, until I took my truck in to Ford for some work.. they ended up rebuilding part of the t-case, and that gained me ~2-4mpg

A simple switch to synthetic fluids all around would certainally help the mileage.

I'm happy if i get 10 mpg. Then again.......

Just a K&N air filter net me 1mpg. Good luck.

Originally posted by gavin
I don't think getting 20+ in a 5.0 AWD Ex would be that hard, honestly.
I'm now averaging 16-17mpg with a mix of hwy and city. That's bone stock. I plan on gettin a K&N FIPK, then puttin my Granatelli MAF back on, and hoping to get a little more out of that.
and right now my Ex has like 110k miles on it.. so I doubt 20mpg hwy will be that hard.

oh yeah.. and I have quite the lead foot.

I *was* averaging 12-14mpg, until I took my truck in to Ford for some work.. they ended up rebuilding part of the t-case, and that gained me ~2-4mpg

I wish I shared your optimisim. I currently get about 12-13 MPG mix city/highway driving on my V8 AWD. I've cleaned my MAF, inflated my tires to 40 PSI (ouch), took it into the dealer, ran fuel injector cleaner, and drive like a grandma.

The only way I see getting even close to 20 MPG is if I'm on the highway in netural with the engine off :rolleyes:

The only other things to try are the O2 sensors, spark plugs and wires. PS: I've got a 2000 with 26,500 miles :(

Please help me
help.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by dondiesel444
I noticed all you guys have v-6's, there is no way I can get close to 20 MPG's with v-8 and AWD, I think the best we ever got babying the throttle was 18, with my heavy foot I probably get 14-15, my Wifes drive can get slighlty better mileage than I do.

Yep. It seems like most people here have the V6s. Although I would be ECSTATIC with 18 MPG!

Back