Getting house built is PITA | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Getting house built is PITA

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I don't really know were to start, so it may end up being long.

Basically we started looking at houses and found some new houses for the same price as most of the 15-25 year old houses we were looking at, plus it was a little larger. So we thought about it, looked at a couple that were being built, (really no showcase house) decided on a floorplan and lot, and sign the agreement.

After looking at a couple of houses I noticed slight differences, such as some basemenes had pole supports and a beam, while most others had a double studded wall. Also some had plumbing ran under floor of basement while most had it ran around the sides and out the front wall. Decided I wanted poles and plumbing under floor so I could have more options when finishing basement. They tell me the plumber like to put it under the floor if he can (I guess if it is low enough at the street) because it's cheaper, doesn't require crock.

So the concrete guy pours the foundation walls and forgets to put in the beam pockets for the pole supports, so they have to cut one out. Funny thing is that even most of the houses with studded walls had beam pockets that just were not used.

Plumber puts in plumbing under floor, but did not leave enough room for washer and dryer, so it had to be moved. So I look at another house being built at the same time and it's not under the floor, hmmm, I thought it was cheaper.

Also the roof, all the houses I looked at used 2x6 stick configuration. 2x6 every 16" for the ceilings (attic floor) and every 24" for the roof. I get 2x4 trusses that are assembled using those tack strip plates every 24", so the attic floor only has 2x4 support every 24". They tell me thats the way they do gable roofs, so I questioned about another house (gable) I seen and he said they did it that way because the trusses were late. So I'm going to be looking at the rest of the houses goin up, he tells me another one down the street is gettting trusses.

It took like two weeks to dig, another week to pour concrete, 2-3 weeks to get plumbing, 2-3 weeks to get it framed, another 3 weeks to get windows (anything other than white is special order) Picked out shingles and brick. Shingles delivered, waiting to be put on house. Last 2 days were beatiful, now it is going to rain the rest of the week, allowing wood to get soaked. Oh yeah, the brick is going to take another 2 weeks, out of stock. It's been over 3 months and basically all I have so far is a framed house with some plumbing. To make it worse, a house down the street has been dug, framed, bricked and shingled in under 2 months.

MAybe I'm just being **** about the hole thing. I'm just looking for consitancy. Just think if you ordered a truck from ford and you say you want it just like that but a different color, in a V8, or manual (because lord knows the dealer never carries 5 spds) Then your truck comes and everything else is different.

Now the thing is, I can either just say forget it, I don't want the house, because I think the builder understands my frustration, but at the same time I don't think I can find anything better for the price, plus I like the lot, large backyard.

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
I've heard this type of story a few times from some friends of my parents and also with us while we built our house. Actually they did a pretty dilligent job in getting it done. But there were lots of errors, like putting a upstairs sink in downstairs, putting in doors backwards and light switches wrong. I mean you'd think if these people did it for a living they'd be good and communicate with each other. I think since the company that built our place contracted out, there was a real lack of communication and thats what it all boiled down to. We also had to have all of our house resided because they put the siding on wrong...doh.. And yeah they left wood out in the rain on our house, but I don't think that really matters, that stuff shouldnt rot as long as it doesnt sit too long..

canada74

Reaction score
City, State
windsor, ontario canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt
i work for an industrial supply company (plumbing dept) and i've been to a lot of jobsites and the average time for a house is about 3 months. it is easier (cheaper) for the plumbing to be under the floor, depending on code for your area. but you paid for your house you have every right to ask/ demand thing to be done a certain way. ive seen houses go up in a month and IMO id rather have them take their time