Getting new car....got some ????

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hey guys, given current gas prices and my gas mileage with the lift and tires (12 MPG) and the fact that my truck has 210K on it I'm considering getting a new vehicle for my DD. I think I can afford about $6-7000 so here's what I'm thinking and why, please offer input and suggestions.

1) 99-00 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, ~70-80K miles, my Mom has one and I love it...classic American OHV power

2) I found a 97 Grand Prix GTP (supercharged) with 100K on it.... Obviously 40 HP more, but is 100K on a supercharged engine bad?

3) 2000 Ford Focus or Dodge Neon~ 40K, less miles, better gas milage, newer car = cooler interior, 5 speed and hand e brade = more FUN

4) 96-97 Honda Civic, similiar to 3) with more miles but still fun and reliable

5) 94-95 Civic, same as 3) and 4) but money left over to mod.....

So give me ideas, feel free to shoot these down...by the way, Preludes and Acuras and other slightly more rare cars are even rarer up here in Maine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i vote for the GTP... i persoanlly know a guy running close to 300whp on a GTP with around 130k miles on it and no problems so i don't think u'll have to worry about reliability. one of my best friends had over 170k on his old 3.8 oldsmobile (owned since new) with no problems at all till someone else totalled it. he currently has an intrigue (since new) with around 120k miles and no problems at all. 3.8s are pretty solid engines and GTPs are fun cars (i'm hoping to get one as a daily driver)... :)

the gtps are fine... heck, the civics are fine too, as long as you dont put a coffee can tip, a K&N, a ton of stickers, and a wing bigger than the trunklid and think its is hella fast yo!

Originally posted by jimabena74
the gtps are fine... heck, the civics are fine too, as long as you dont put a coffee can tip, a K&N, a ton of stickers, and a wing bigger than the trunklid and think its is hella fast yo!

:chug: Here Ye! Here Ye! :chug:

My moms got a Grand Prix, closing in on 200k, with very few problems.

Originally posted by jimabena74
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dont you know that a steel wing adds 46 hp to a civic! :D

I would stay away from the neon, lean more towards Civic or Focus, dont mod the civic, they are designed to be a DD not a rice car. Err, race car. :)

Thanks guys for the replys. I don't plan on ricing out anything that I get... A GTP will be plenty fast without messing with it. By modding a Civic I mostly meant wheels and tires because most of the ones in those years have 14" steel wheels with hub caps, wheels look nice. Regardless of what I'll get I'll probably do intake and exhaust, save the coffee can, just like the Explorer has. Oh yeah and a chip on the Grand Prix because the stock speed governor on my moms is at 106 and it gets there way to fast for me to believe it won't do a lot more. Absolutely NO wings, stickers, or coffee cans on this thing.

I have actually driven a 2001 Honda civic (company car) and was surprisingly impressed. It has plenty of power, and the finish was pretty good. The interior was a little cramped but it IS a small car. The focus is a great little car, especially the SVT:D . Personally, though, I'd have to agree with the rest of the crew and vote for the GTP. The Grand Prix is already a great little car, very attractive, and with a supercharger- it would certainly be improved. GM did a great job with that car.

I'd also be weary of the Focus because of reliability issues. The GTP would alos be my vote, the engine and drivetrain are tried and true.

DO NOT GET THE NEON!!!!!! please......
My girlfriend has a 98, burns oil, leaks tranny fluid somewhere, reverse doesn't always engage, makes all sorts of funny noises
My friend ed had a 95, burnt/leaked oil, slow, noisy, tranny shuttered when shifting, reverse worked half the time, accelerator stuck once in a while

both auto, g/f's is a DOHC

Back