getting off tranny cover 97 exp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

getting off tranny cover 97 exp

JJScorpio

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 and 1999 XLT
I went to remove the cover on my tranny to check for metal and it wont seem to clear the catalytic converter. I called a shop first and they said it would. Does anyone know if it will or if I have to remove exhaust or crossmembers. I am kinda screwed because I need it for work tommorrow and i have torn the gasket so I cant replace it.............

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine?

You MIGHT be able to loosen the trans mount and jack up the back of the trans a bit to help. Also drop the exhaust off the exhaust hangers and let it hang down a bit.

A 97 should have a re-usable gasket.
You can add a drain plug and change the filter while you are in there.

I am going to go out and try it one more time. Damn I wish I had a lift, lol. Not much room. It looks like it might be easier to drop the cross member if I can break the bolts. If worst comes to worst if the gasket is reuasable maybe I can get it back together so I dont miss work. Thx for the reply.....

On the SOHC, you have to drop the front driveshaft. to remove the tranny pan. Once you do that, you should be able to slide the pan off.

What Engine???

It has the 4.0 SOHC. It looks as if you can drop the drive shaft or the cross member behind it. It has those star shaped bolts. Does anyone know what size?

if under the vehicle looking towward the front is the cat on the passenger side i have a 95 and i can pull my pan without having to move anything have not looked under the 97 but am assuming the same the torx bolts are t-30 or try a 3/8 open end or socket if it will fit. is the pan loose and you cant drop it down and tilt it back?

iI believe that you either have to drop the drive shaft or the crossmember. I am trying to get it back together now but I am having a hell of a time holding the cover, lining up the gasket and starting the bolts. I am ready to scream, lol....Ill keep trying...

use some vasoline to hold gasket in place it wont hurt anything and if you have an
extra jack use it to hold the pan.

Back