Getting ready for the 4406 swap...but.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting ready for the 4406 swap...but..

Theelax42

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
I've read the threads, followed the links, shopped the yards, now for the assembly!
I've gathered the BW4406 from a manual 98 F150, and parked right next to it was a 97 Expedition that donated the Drive lines.. my concern is this nipple.
ok, to be fair, nipples always concern me.. but nothing I've read says anything about this..
1600821531174.png

did I get the wrong one?
1600821585846.png

1600821645149.png

any advice before I start tearing into to this would help..

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats the vent tube, all cases have one. You got the right case you need as long as your truck is a v8.

Thats the vent tube, all cases have one. You got the right case you need as long as your truck is a v8.
I guess I should explain better,
I have a 98 Mounty with a 5.0..
however as I'm reading, I see that I May have screwed up the Drive lines.. I only grabbed them from a 97 and 98 Expedition.. not paying attention to the engine size..
It's my own fault. by the time I wrestled the case out, I was ready to be done, but wanted to get it all in one trip..
funny part is I had JUST told my wife it was important to snap a pic of the VIN plate of each rig.. then didn't

No biggie
The front d shaft will work, even if you have to shorten it 1" I can show you how
The rear shaft MIGHT work, 97-98 Expedition with the 4.6 or 5.4 I cant remember, one of those the rear shaft will bolt into the 4 door explorer
You will need conversion U joints one for the front diff and one for the rear
If you have to just have the rear shaft shortened or lengthened to fit your Explorer, usually cost around $250-400 to have rear shaft re tubed and rebuilt with new Spicer parts.....

The hard part to get for this swap is the shifter and shifter mechanism so if you grabbed those you are golden! Consider a new transmission mount while you are down there, the 4406 is a HUGE beast and puts the stock mount through hell.
Shave off all of the aluminum tabs and ears on the 4406 t case with a sawzall, they only get in the way when you stuff this under the explorer
You will also need to modify your gas tank front mount, some people chop cut weld, and others (me) just use a BFH and beat it into submission

The 4406m t case conversion is the BEST upgrade you can make to a AWD 5.0 ex....be prepared to be very happy with yourself and the decision to go 4x4!! Passing power, MPG, wear and tear on the front end, a much lighter steering wheel.....takes your soccer mom SUV from soccer practice and the mall to the Camping area and Jeep trails :)
Take pics and show us your conversion!

If I remember correctly, you only need a conversion U-Joint for the front driveshaft. The rear one is a bolt in, though you might as well install all new u-joints while you've got the driveshafts out.
Another thought, start a notebook with all the mods done, and what parts you used to do them as an easy reference for when repairing/replacing parts. Once you've done this swap you can't just go to O'Reillys and say you need a u-joint for a 98 Mountaineer.

Yeah the rear drive shaft if it's the correct one will bolt right in, no funky Ujoint needed.

For the front I used a 1st gen EX shaft with a new flange then it also bolts right in , no funky Ujoints and it has double cardan.

And that nipple, your stock unit had a vent line going to it, push it on that nipple.

Consider a new transmission mount while you are down there, the 4406 is a HUGE beast and puts the stock mount through hell.
Help Which "new transmission mount" are you referring too. Did a the 4406 swap awhile back and just changed the transmission and now the old mount is to tall.

Back