Getting the Cats out :(

Wakeboy1337

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Pierce, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
So I have this major setback right now.

I have the muffler off of the cats, and I have one of the nuts off of the studs for the cats. But, even though I was careful and made sure to use a 6 point socket I still managed to round off the last two nuts.

The one closest to the ground is no problem for me to get at with the grinder. But how can I get to that top one? I would rather not have to take it to an exhaust shop to have them charge me 100 bucks to do it and my truck is taken a little far apart to attempt to drive it to a shop anyway. I do not have a cutoff torch. I have a sawzall but I dont know if I can find a blade to reach the stubborn one.

This one is no problem to get rid of.
DSCF5176.jpg

This one I am really worried about.
DSCF5185.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I'm surprised you got one of the nuts off.

I remember taking mine out, I had to cut all three of the bolts. I believe I managed to get a Sawsall up there just enough to cut that one. It may be completely different for you though, because my truck had no transmission in it at the time and the motor was tilted back a little bit because of that.

I actually want to take this out so I can tip the motor and tranny back for some work that needs to be done :P

Are those studs welded in or just pressed?

Another thing you can do is drive a different size socket onto the rounded nut,then twist it off.It might come off ,it might break,either way you win.:D

I had no problem getting my exhaust nuts off. I just drenched them with heavy duty grill cleaner, waited about 15 minutes, and put the socket wrench on them. However, I could not get them undone by hand, so I got pissed off and kicked the wrench, busting the nut loose. :D

Another thing you can do is drive a different size socket onto the rounded nut,then twist it off.It might come off ,it might break,either way you win.:D

I tried that. But I couldnt figure out how to get enough room to force it on there.:(

There is also the bolt out things you can buy from Sears. They work, however these may be so stuck even those can't do it. It may be worth a shot though.

As far as the studs being welded or pressed, I think they are pressed. I seem to remember being able to pound the remaining of the studs out after I got my cat out. I may be wrong though, I know I had to at least drill the holes out for the bolts I used, and I might have had to drill the studs out as well. All I remember is that steel was super hard to drill since it had 15 years of heating and cooling going on.

Back