GIJOE's Desert Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GIJOE's Desert Explorer

*Update#5 07-18-2008* (See bottom of page 4)

*Update#4 04-06-2008* (See middle of page 4)

*Update#3 03-14-2008* (See top of page 4)

*Update#2 03-08-2008* (See bottom of page 3)

*Update#1 08-22-2007* (See page 3)

Thats right I am back :)

Heres the new Explorer:
1998 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 5.0L V8
This one is identical to my old one.
Hopefully I wont Roll this one.

Most of you already know what I was trying to do with my old Explorer but for the people who dont know here you go.

Plans:
This is going to be a full blown race truck and prerunner. I plan on racing either 1450 or 1400 in MDR and maybe SCORE.
Heres just a few plans right now I will add more later.
-Full roll cage
-Camburg long travel front suspension (Already have)
-3 linked in the rear
-custom 9 inch rearend
-King coilovers and bump stops on all corners (maybe King havent decided yet)
-Fiberglass front and rear fenders and fiberglass hood
-Custom front and rear bumpers
-4 racing seats
-Tires and wheels
-All required racing equpiment

Heres pictures of the new Explorer.
2X2.jpg

2X1.jpg

Heres a picture of my Camburg long travel kit.
LT.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

excellent to see you back......what tires are you going with?.....im looking forward to seeing this thing sitting tall again.

Nice. Where in OC are you. Im up there a fair bit and wouldnt mind stopping by to check it out when you get further along.

Finally! :D Welcome bad dude. That one is identical!

Good to see you back. We've had a lot of old timers come out of the woodwork lately.

I'm really looking forward to watching the build. Can't wait to see it in action!

What's MDR? Any thoughts of running BITD?

I am glad to be back here.
It was hard to show my face around here when after I rolled my Explorer I went and bought a 2006 Toyota Corolla. Which was a very good purchase.
After I bought the Toyota I started moding that I basically went over to the import scene :) but I hope to use some of the stuff I learned and things I saw used in the import cars and bring them to offroad world.

MDR is the Mojave Desert Racing series its like SCORE and BITD I might run race in all three series I just depends cause I dont think BITD dosent allow V8's in the 300 class and I dont want to race in the Trick Truck class cause I will get beat badly. But if you want to see some of MDRs race coverage Offroad Mag. does articles on the MDR races and you can check out their site www.mdrracing.com

GI don't you worry about showing your face here. S#!t happens. I don't think anyone thinks lesss of you. Glad to here your building another one though :thumbsup: And I think the Cage idea is a good choice this time ;)

Welcome back bud :cool:

GIJOE said:
I am glad to be back here.
It was hard to show my face around here when after I rolled my Explorer I went and bought a 2006 Toyota Corolla. Which was a very good purchase.

Heh heh... We just bought a 2004 Corolla for Char as a daily driver:D Have a good forum for me to check out??

so clean! Now get to stripping!!

Nice to have you back and nice LT kit!

Welcome back. Cant wait to see the new one built.

Well i dont know you really but it looks like you had a bad ass pre runner. Cant wait to see you build this up.

Welcome back :thumbsup: That poor explorer doesn't know what you have in store for it :cool:

It should turn out *****in. And its going to be fun to build especially since I am going to be doing alot of the fab work. And I should have alot of time to work on it seeing that I only have to work 13 days a month :) so I have alot of free time.

And when I get done whoever wants a ride can get one thats why I am building this is to use the heck out of it.

Rick said:
Heh heh... We just bought a 2004 Corolla for Char as a daily driver:D Have a good forum for me to check out??
I do have a good site for you its www.9thgencorolla.com the board over there is set up the same as here and everyone there is real cool.

Update?? :)

Hey sorry no big updates right now. I ordered some stuff but its seems to be taking forever to get the parts.
All I have done so far is basic tuneup stuff and check things out to make sure they dont need replacing. I did remove the front and rear sway bars and the front plastic wheel wells and removed misc plastic pieces or not needed items.
I should have some good updates it the next few weeks.

Hey how did you get camburg to build you arms? Would i be able to get a set?

Like Dave said its the Edge LT kit. It should fit the Explorer. Camburg built the kit for me a little over a year ago when it was in the preproduction/prototype stage. So we could make sure it fit for the Explorer before they advertise it as fitting.

It should be going on soon I hope. I just need coilovers. I have everything else. I even have Baker's front glass installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You KNOW we love pics :)

Back