• Register Today It's free!

Gimme your opinions/advice...

snobrder9186

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 2Dr 4WD
Ok, I'm looking into upgrading my sound system, but I've been reading so much info that I don't even know what I want anymore. :(

I listen to Rock, Metal, and some Techno. I'm looking for a system that sound good in highs, mids, and that puts out a little more bass than the stock speakers. I don't know if I should get new speakers and run an amp to them, get new speakers, power them of the HU and get a sub or two. I need your guys' opinions.

Right now I got a JVC KD-S680 head unit that puts out 45W x 4 peak (17 RMS x 4 I think). At first I was looking into just upgrading the 5x7/6x8's in my car and running an amp to them. I am going to put Infinity 5752cf's in, but I'm wondering if I should power them w/ an amp. I've read that sometimes w/ you have an amp in your system it will make you lights dim and really kill your battery. Is this true? I also heard that you have to replace the stock speaker wire depending on how much power your using? If I were to power them w/ an amp, I would use one that put out 35-60w RMS x 4(4ohm). Would I need to replace the wires for that powerful of an amp?

I went to my local Circuit City and listened to some subs, and that sounded like too much bass. I don't listen to rap, and I don't wanna hear only a crap load of bass.

So, in your opinion, what would you do? Get the speakers, power them w/ an amp and no subs? Or get the speakers and sub(s) and only power the sub(s) w/ an amp?

Thanks For Your Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by snobrder9186
I've read that sometimes w/ you have an amp in your system it will make you lights dim and really kill your battery. Is this true? I also heard that you have to replace the stock speaker wire depending on how much power your using?

It will not kill your battery as long as your engine is running while your system is on.

No, you don't need new wirings under 100watt amp.

If I were you (which I'm not :=)) I'd get an amp for each set of speakers and one amp for the sub.

Good luck!

Ok..

Ok, so i won't hurt my battery and I don't need new wires...thats a relief. Now will the 4 Infinity 5752cf's alone off of the 17 RMS HU be enough bass? Or should I get a 4 chan. amp for them? They're rated at 60 RMS so I dunno. Has anyone used these speakers w/ an amp before? If so how much RMS and did it produce bass equal to or more than the stock speakers?

I've been looking at amps too and so far I'm interested in:
1.MTX Thunder 4200
2.MTX Thunder 4320
3.Sony XM-460GTX

^ If anyone has any of these amps, please tell me how you like them, and if they are underrated, approx. what RMS x4(4ohm) does it produce?

Thanks For Your Help!

My suggestion is this: get a single 10" sub in a sealed enclosure, amp that, and amp every other one of your speakers. The reason for the 10" in the sealed enclosure, is that it will give you just enough tight, crisp bass to bring out the bass lines in your rock music. That's what I would do. What brands you pick are up to you, but in car audio, you get what you pay for.

I agree with the last post. 1 or 2 10" subs will sound great for what you're looking for. Speakers will always sound their best when amped (within their limits), so I would definitely get an amp for your other speakers. As far as those two brands of amps I would definitely go with MTX. I've had an MTX amp for about the past 4-5 years now that has been used in several different setups in my personal cars and some of my friend's cars and the thing has been bulletproof. One of my friend's brother has a Sony amp and i personally think the thing sucks. But again...just my opinion.

ok thanx...

OK, I think I'm gonna get the 5x7's and a 4 channel amp first, and just run a bigger power wire so that I could use a distro block later if I get the sub(s). Now with that in mind, what exactly do I need to hook up my 4 chan. amp lol? I'm looking to run 1 larger power wire to possibly power a 4 chan. amp up to 600watts and possibly another amp later for 1 to 2 subs. What gauges should I use for the wires? What types and lengths of wires and parts do I need to install the 4 channel? I'll purchase and install the other hardware and wires for the sub amp later. Also what does a capacitor do? I heard that it stops your ligts from dimming? Do I need one of these?

Thanx Everyone for their help!

theres debate over it, but you dont need a cap, especially if you buy quality amps, its basically a waste of money (decent amps already have capacitors built in to protect your electrical system, no need for extra ones, again, as someone said earlier, you get what you pay for). up to 600 watts you should be fine with 8ga wire, but you'll also need two pairs of RCA's, a remote lead, etc. if your new to this id suggest going to best buy and buying a quality kit, if you think you can do it on your own, 10-12 feet of 8ga wire, a screw on inline fuse, about 10 ft of 14-16ga wire (remote amp turn on), and 2 10ft RCAs should work for you, just place the inline fuse as close to the battery as you can, good luck, any more questions, just ask.

Your best bet is to buy an amp wiring kit, like Liquidx9 said, however, don't buy it from Best Buy. They will rape you on the price. My bro works there, and he bought me a kit at cost, which was over 50% off there retail price. They are good kits but not worth the money when you can get something cheaper off of Ebay. A good site to check out for awesome deals is www.extremesoundworks.com . There are a few members on this board that have used them, myself included, and have been extremely pleased with the service, quality and price.

As far as a cap goes, you won't need it. As for what liquidx9 said about amps having them built in, I think he might be thinking of something else. I have a 1 farad cap in my X, but I also have like 3000 watts of power running. My lights still dim, but not as much as without it. Bascally a cap stores power, and when your bass hits and your amp needs that etra bit of juice, it gets it from the cap.

If you are for sure going to get subs down the line, I suggest you save yourself some time and buy 3 sets of RCA's and run them all at the same time. Which just made me think of something else. Does your Head Unit have 3 sets of RCA outputs? If not that brings up some other issues, like how to get a signal to your amps.

Hope this answered some of your questions.

Originally posted by liquidx9
if you think you can do it on your own, 10-12 feet of 8ga wire, a screw on inline fuse, about 10 ft of 14-16ga wire (remote amp turn on), and 2 10ft RCAs should work for you, just place the inline fuse as close to the battery as you can,

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on your lengths. You will need at least an 18 foot power cable, plus 2 more feet for a ground. 16 feet RCA's at least, and 16 feet of 22ga for your remote wire. You don't need 14-16ga for a remote, it carries a very miniscule amount of power. You will also need enough speaker wire(16ga) to wire al 4 speakers.

just telling you what i used... and yes, amps have capacitors in them, take off your heat shield (if you dont mind voiding your warranty) and you should see a couple (i have about 10 or 12) small ones, do the same thing as a big one

Originally posted by liquidx9
just telling you what i used... and yes, amps have capacitors in them, take off your heat shield (if you dont mind voiding your warranty) and you should see a couple (i have about 10 or 12) small ones, do the same thing as a big one

those small ones don't do nearly what a 1 farad cap does

So a 8ga for a power wire will work, shouldn't I get a a 4ga incase I run it to a distro block later? Also, are the RCA cables w/ the remote wire in them ok? For example knukonnectz? What do I connect the power wire w/ to the battery? do i need to buy something special for it?
Also how do I get to the HU in my 1998 X-Sport to check how many RCA's it has?(I bought the car w/ it in there) One more question, how do I remove the door panels to get at the front speakers?

Thanx For all Your Help!

Back