girlfriend wants to trade her honda for an X. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

girlfriend wants to trade her honda for an X.

I would stay with the Honda. If money is that tight, the EXs gas mileage will be a rude awakening after a Civic. Plus the Ex has an extra 30,000 on it. Just to muddy the waters..... The Civic might just be American made and actually have more US content than the EX.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure if she gets the X she won't have to make payments but how much more will it cost for insurance and gas, thats going to somewhat offset the $165 a month for the honda. Plus things will go wrong with an X that old and those repairs will get costly.

I pay a lot more in insurance then friends who drive small cars even though all the other factors are the same and they go forever on one tank where I fill up about every week or less.

Another thought

I can understand if she doesn't want car payments, I didn't want car payments when I bought my X ('92 w/97.00o) miles back in December 2001 and since then I've had to get replaced:

rebuilt engine from '94 X w/67,000 - $1800 (labor included)
front & back brakes $225
new ball joints $450 (labor included)

I still need some trans work done (selinod kit), belt replacement, wheel alignment and I have a pin hole in my muffler.

My point is, that in the 7 months I've had the truck, I've had to put over $2000 dollars into it - the X you mentioned already has over 100 miles, what if something needs to be replaced as soon as you get it or within a month or two? You'll probably be putting out a lot more than $167. Have a experienced mechanic check out the X before your girlfriend decides to get it - and I would leave out the $500 - just do a trade, you may need that $500 for a future repair job.

but one must consider that if you maintain a car well, and don't beat it to hell driving it like a crazy manic, then it probably will last......anything will if you take care of it.

the honda, well the check engine light comes on frequently, also the brakes squeak badly they need replaced soon!, the engine runs really really reallly really hot- i mean you could fry an egg on it after driving it for 10 mins touch the hood hot! it smells like burning plastic, can't pin point it under the hood. also it has some cool honda accord hubcaps on it, and the tweeters that were molded in the door were stolen by the previous owner before he sold it, theres house carpet in the trunk.
but it hasn't had 8,000 miles put on it in the last year....she never drives it.
the paint is in really nice shape, still really shiny.
interior is near perfect
she only drives like 150miles at the absolute most per week, so she'd make it 2 weeks on 1 tank of gas.

also a side note the explorer she wants has been family owned and driven by a woman.

she thanks you all so far for your opinions, keep them coming!!

Originally posted by DonM
Yeah im sure we all can read!

Trading a Honda for a Ford would be down right stupid, she will end up paying for it in the long run!! That Explorer has over 100k, how much longer do you think it will last?? NOt much longer!;)

American made junk, NOW THATS THE WAY TO GO...:rolleyes:

Don
You would be surpised. The engine is made in Germany and the transmission is made in France. Also, Ford contracts many foreign (asian) companies to produce their electronic devices such as the MAF and ignition coil.

Yes Jason i realize some other Countries do produce for Ford, but the fact of the matter is... it's still really poorly made! The quality is just not there.

Don

Another thought #2

Elite,

I just read your last reply regarding the Honda and what's going on with it. It sounds like you and your girlfriend have pretty much decided on the X.

Just please make sure it's checked out by a reputable mechanic before you purchase it, and yes, a automobile will last if you take care of it but parts do need replacement sooner or later - just make sure you get it checked out so you won't have to do repairs.

(My X I bought in December was owned and driven (locally) by a woman too, original owner was her brother and I still had to put $$ into it - just be careful)

Good Luck!

Renee

Back