• Register Today It's free!

Girlfriend's Ford Contour

jeremism30

Reaction score
City, State
Oxnard,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport
I know this is an explorer site, but I have gotten some really good advice from some of you guys at this site. I have a Ford Contour question and was wondering if someone might shed some light on this.

2000 Ford Contour sport se, v6 duel overhead cam, 24v.
Only 31K miles.

When the car is cold it wants to try and stall when you try to drive it. I don’t think it has actually completely stalled out yet, due to not pressing it that far. If you let it warm up then you are good to go no problems. Sometimes it makes a fog horn sound, but only when it's cold as well. Keep in mind we live in southern ca, so it only gets down to 40 at the lowest at night time.

If you first start the car say around noon when the temp is up, no problems. Starts and runs fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Foghorn sound, problem idling = IAC.

alec is dead on.... just get some intake cleaner, pop off the IAC spray some in, clean, spray, clean repeat... shouldn't take more then 20 min tops.

I have the same sound w/ mine... but when it is hot out... go figure

I was pretty sure that the problem was air intake or maybe cold seals somewhere.

I had not considered the IAC, because my experience with my IAC on my explorer was not remotly the same.

hm:(

The sound is gonna come from the air filter if it's the IAC.

Yes, try to clean it, but it may need to be replaced.

You know I looked for the IAC and couldn't find it. It must look different on the Contour. Might have to buy a book.

And yes I do believe that the fog horn was coming from the air filter.

The dealer said that could be cause by many thing, something as little as an air filter not properly placed. Checked that and I admit it was a little off. Fixed it and replaced it.

I'll look into the IAC more thanks.

before buying the manual, check out autozones website, they have some cars diagrams and stuff online for free

I run FastCougar.Com, a site dedicated to the 99-02 Mecury Cougar, which is nothing more than a 2dr Contour. I have since sold the Cougar and bought none other than a 98 Contour :)

This is definitely the IACV as Alec pointed out. However, cleaning the IACV will not produce a long term cure. Been there, done that. Replace it with a new IACV from the dealership.

Check out these great sites:

FastCougar: Dead Link Removed
Contour Enthusiast Group: http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
Ford Contour Owners: http://www.fordcontour.org/forums/

All great sites Fastcougar. wish a truck never ran into me almost head on in my Tour. 99 Contour sport with SVT mods also had a great exhaust done by the CarDoc on FCO. But would have never bought the X if I still had the Tour.

Back