• Register Today It's free!

Glad to have found this site

peteycats

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer 345,000 mi
Hi I am new to this site I found some very helpful information and tips. I do have to say though it is a little overwhelming. I own a 99 Explorer XLT with 345,000 miles and an 88 Ranger XLT with 92,300 miles. Look forward to more info.

Original equiment :)

Unfortunately at approximately 325,000 engine and transmission were both done. Only chose to do it that way because the back chain was making noise and it was more in labor to do just the chains than a complete engine. Trans we did just as a precaution (It always had some slipping issues). As the old saying goes stay with your gut feeling (which for me was rebuild the one that has been tried and true). We went with a rebuilder who has been around a long time and that we had bought from before, but we sure got the run around. After getting one engine with stripped exhaust manifold bolt holes and the second one coming with 3 of the spark plug holes having nary a thread the 3rd phone call got somebody moving on their quality control. We were informed that after examining 50 engines 1 was finally found in tact. The hind sight, I wish now we had gone with the extra labor and done the chains. With even the high mileage the original engine never burned one drop of oil, the rebuilt from the time of installation to present time (almost 2 years) goes through 1 to 3 quarts every oil change. So frustrating.

Back