GM Onstar now available for the Explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GM Onstar now available for the Explorer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL, that product was the ad at the top of the screen when I loaded one of the threads here!

But I have yet to understand why anyone would want Onstar (with its monthly charges) rather than Sync (presuming it is working)?

Ford already had THIS available, as well as the SYNC live assist.

SYNC live assist isn't going to be free after the trial period, I think it's going to be $60/year.

Agreed that Sync services and Sync are probably just as good, but for those that have base Explorer versions and decided not to get Sync, this might be a decent alternative. Not that I'm a huge Onstar fan....

Just thought it was interesting.

OnStar or THIS

Skyway is a Ford authorized accessory.

What's wrong with a good smartphone?

Your smartphone could disappear somewhere inside or outside the car in an accident... :)

Gawk - Skyway has notifications of when I go over 55MPH!!

ALL THE TIME!! Don't want that evidence hanging around ;)

... and I agree with 182RG - why would I want Onstar over a Smartphone. Only advantage I see is for a stolen vehicle, but I'd rather use the $400 or whatever Onstar costs a year for insurance which I need to buy regardless.

We had Onstar with all our GM/Buick cars. I loved it.
There are different tiers of OnStar--so you pay for what you use it for.
I think the highest tier was $200 a year(for all the features- turn by turn etc.).
I liked talking to a person when I needed to. Now if you have integrated Nav, not sure why you'd even consider this option.

We had Onstar with all our GM/Buick cars. I loved it.
There are different tiers of OnStar--so you pay for what you use it for.
I think the highest tier was $200 a year(for all the features- turn by turn etc.).
I liked talking to a person when I needed to. Now if you have integrated Nav, not sure why you'd even consider this option.

Ahh - from what I googled, the subscription fee here in Canada is 24.95/month or 39.90/month with the addition of turn by turn navigation.

$200 isn't that bad, although as you point out, with Nav, I wouldn't really need it anyway.

@Calb...I only kept ours for the free period(1 yr). Due to we had a Garmin & smart phones, the onstar wasn't really necessary. However the 911 part of OnStar stayed with the life of the car/SUV.

What is Skyway? My wife insists on getting OnStar. She never turns on her iPhone and likes the 1 touch of OnStar. She also always used the OnStar phone,('09 Buick Enclave) even though it was more expensive. I thought of getting another phone on the family plan and leaving it always on and charging in the Explorer hooked to Bluetooth, so it would always be ready. She really didn't like that idea,either. We have the 302A w. nav, so really it is just for the always ready OnStar phone.

I just looked up Skyway-Smart Alert and it too, requires use of the owners cell phone. Correct?

Back