GM recall on Cobalts for electric steering issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GM recall on Cobalts for electric steering issues.

biggiesize

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsville,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
I know that I probably shouldnt be cussing on here by saying that dirty word GM,but Im having some bittersweet emotions about the recall announced today on the Cobalt's electric power steering.I have one of these piece of junk Cobalts in my fleet.At the NHTSA website you can see where gm had this bright idea to switch from the tried and true power steering pump to an electric asssist motor.These things are going out left and right causing wrecks,injuries and deaths.What Im wondering is how they are going to improve the new electric motor?I mean,ALL electric parts eventually give up the ghost.This just seems like putting a band-aid on an artery wound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Other cars have electric assist as well, but probably have better quality design and better quality control. Don't you still have manual steering control if the assist fails?

well that sucks i guess. glad i dont own one nor any of my family.

here is a link to the Cheby forum on here.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155
maybe post it or ask to have this moved there for any others that might own one of them since this is the 95-01 explorer/ranger section..

that's quite leap saying all electronics eventually fail.

the motor in an electric steering assist isnt a normal brushed motor and can actually outlast the car if built right. the only way those are failing it if the company that built them screwed them up

I'e renamed your thread, and moved it into the GM section. Electric steering has many advantages over the conventional P/S pump in our vehicles. I have electric steering in my 88 van. It was a project that was done many years ago. It uses a DC brush hydraulic pump instead of an engine driven P/S pump. The brushes have to be replaced occasionally.

Toyota hybrids have Electric Assist Power Steering so that you have power steering when the engine shuts down. If there is a problem, the fail safe cuts power to the assist motor but you still have manual steering. It runs off the 12v system.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-03 at 8.55.39 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-03 at 8.55.39 AM.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 306
  • Screen shot 2010-03-03 at 8.53.44 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-03-03 at 8.53.44 AM.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 317

Back