• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

GMRS Radios

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
It seems like GMRS is all the rage with off-roaders the past few years. Some groups do not even use CB radios anymore. I have a HAM radio in my Explorer that can tune into most GMRS frequencies but I do not have a license for either because I haven't gotten around to studying and taking the HAM test. The GMRS radio requires a registration license with the FCC, but does not have a test. Apparently, they are going to drop the $70 fee for ten years down to $35 sometime this year. I have done zero research.

What are the pros / cons of GMRS vs HAM, besides range?

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
RJ use to rave about these. He used one on the trail.

Jeep Jamboree just made the switch to these vs CB

Other than that I have no knowledge of these.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Ham radio has access to linked repeaters, often with autopatches which allow you to make phone calls through the repeater. Not as "cool" as it once was due to cell phones, but there are still places you can reach via radio that you could not reach by cell phone. Most ham radio operators are trained in emergency procedures and will definitely get you help should the need arise.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
My favorite feature of Ham is APRS which is a tracker and messaging system. Tracking is similar to a SPOT device and then you can also send short text messages or emails through the system to anybody as long as you can reach a tower. Just this past weekend I used it to see where my other friend was on our way to a wheeling trip and saw he was behind me 10 miles so I dialed back my speed so he would catch up.

Another plus for Ham is the repeater network, I can talk and can be heard across the entire state if desired plus there are some other repeater networks in popular wheeling areas like Moab and Colorado's San Juans. If I'm out alone I will usually be on one of the repeater frequencies in the area. GMRS can also use repeaters but the repeater infrastructure isn't nearly as wide spread as the Ham network as far as I know.

Ham was really starting to take off in popularity for the 4x4 crowd several years ago and then, it seems like to me, GMRS zoomed right past it and took over as being the popular radio platform of choice. I blame Midland and getting their GMRS radios out in the hands of off-road "influencers" who raved about how great they were and then the trend followed. Smart on their part! I think that coupled with the no test required -just pay money- is why it is becoming so popular.

Ill be sticking with Ham radio.