• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

GM's OnStar- what do you think?

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I did a search and found no thread about this "feature" so I thought I would open a discussion. Feel free to delete if it is a useless topic. There is discussion about black boxes, but that isn't real time like this is.

I have had this thought for some time now, but OnStar is like big brother watching you. They can call an ambulance if your air bags are deployed. How do they know where you are to send an ambulance? GPS. They can unlock your car, search your PCM for trouble codes and possibly other things they haven't disclosed yet. If the information of your whereabouts was given to the wrong people, you could be blackmailed, fired from your job etc. They know how fast your going, which way your going and many other variables.

Am I the only one bothered by this? I don't want anyone to know all those things about me. Thats the beauty of owning an automobile, you can go when and where you want and get away from it all. Now someone can subpoena OnStar for your records and track you down. Or the records could be hacked. I'm sure they have a secure server and bla bla bla, but nothing is fully secure. I think its BS. I will never have a GM with OnStar.

What you you think? Am I being paranoid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Google "FBI Onstar lawsuit".

Onstar sued the FBI because the FBI was activating the microphone in peoples vehicles to monitor drug dealers etc... They were sued not for privacy reasons, but for contractual reasons. When the FBI activates the microphone, the Onstar system cannot send a request from the vehicle for emergency assistance.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
I've never really thought of it that way. I'll never own a GM with OnStar, but I have to say it is pretty cool. One night on the way home from the bars, we were talking to an OnStar lady for about 10 minutes in my buddy's Escalade after asking where the nearest Del Taco was.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
Rick said:

Thats exactly what im talking about. Now the FBI could use the equipment as a tracking device as well, so that it wouldn't interfere with the emergency equipment. Find a suspects vehicle, get the VIN, and track it day and night.

Gryz

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Your right about the privacy thing...

I thought I would never use it, but almost one year of never using it on my 05 Trailblazer, I locked my keys in it while it was running. When I called the number on the "onstar" sticker of my car, I was suprised to find out that I could get it unlocked without the password which I forgot. All I had to do was give them my address!

Reaction score
mountaineergree said:
^^^ What a saftey and security feature- find a running on star equipped vehicle and BS your way into getting them to unlock it.

Waste of time. If someone steals the car, OnStar can track the vehicle and direct police to it.

I'm more concerned about this sort of system being combined with the data recorders that are in most new vehicles. It could potentially be used to report your driving habits to your insurance company, or even the DMV. That way the car can rat you out. :thumbdwn:

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
I'm seriously considering getting the wife a Trailblazer or a Impala with onstar. She drives 30 miles one way to work and drives through a bad neighborhood. I'd really love it if she had that. Last week some stupid bitch reended her (she was driving the Taurus). Had a hard time getting a hold of the police. I've been looking around for something with an Onstar Package.

QUESTION: Why the hell doesn't Ford have something similar to Onstar or Onstar? :thumbdwn:

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I think my stance on the issue is that it is similiar to the wire-tapping debate... if you dont have anything to hide, then what does it matter??? To me if it helps take a bunch of drug dealers off the streets, or keeps a terorrist attack from happening, then good for them! Personally they could be listening in on my microphone conversation all day and not hear anything interested except my piss-poor singing along to songs on the radio. Just like if they ever listened in on my phone conversatiosn they would not hear anything exciting at all.

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
It has it's good things & bad things. I'm all for emergancy use & things like that. But not for monitoring trouble codes, oil changes, miles driven, speed etc. I'd never get it cause I have no use for it. GM is going to be making it standard in the next few years though. The buyer will have to decide to pay the subscription or not. I'm sure it can be "disabled" if one has a service manual.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
mattadams said:
I think my stance on the issue is that it is similiar to the wire-tapping debate... if you dont have anything to hide, then what does it matter???

Then you shouldn't mind a microphone in your house either. Just think, if everyone had a microphone in their house the cops could automatically be called in for a domestic dispute when the sound level reached a certain point. Women and children are hurt and killed everyday in their own home so why not protect everyone by adding a bit of technology? If you're a good citzen you shoudn't mind, right? :confused:

Microchips implanted in children at birth could also prove useful. Operation Identification... If your kid gets kidnapped or lost just track the chip. :eek: It works for dogs so why not people? :rolleyes:

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Rick, you should be on vacation... LOL.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I am... :D Just waking up and checking in before heading home on our final stretch. We drove from Cheyenne to Albuqurque yesterday. Traffic in Denver wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the construction south of Denver was a pain.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
kfkodiak said:
Waste of time. If someone steals the car, OnStar can track the vehicle and direct police to it.

That's my point exactly; they know where you are located at any given time! They can know where you are, hear your voice without your knowledge or consent. I know if you’re not doing anything illegal bla bla, but that’s not the point. I don’t like the idea of someone I don’t know being able to look up where I am at and track me in real time. This technology used in conjunction with data logging can really be used against you. Personally I don’t want to pay for some technology that could convict me of something I was doing wrong. Its like paying an attorney to prosecute you. This could eventually even be used to mail you a speeding ticket if you are driving too fast. :thumbdwn:

Gatorblazer

Reaction score
City, State
Moody, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer, 09 Mazda 5
I think you are all a little paranoid. If you do nothing that needs to be monitored, then no one is looking into you. The only time you need to worry about wire tapping or ON Star (all of these are legal under the Patriot Act BTW) is when you are doing something stupid. You have to give a little of your freedom up to be protected sometimes. How much is too much is up for debate, but I have no problem with OnStar providing info to the FBI. Besides, the cars (ie tahoes, escalades, hummers) were probably bought illegally with illegal drug $.

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
I'm with you mountaineergree, eventhough I don't really do anything ileagally, except speeding, and things like that. But here's an example, lets say you're in your brand new onstar equipt vehical, and you and your buddies are sitting there joking about the president, and someone's comment goes a little to far. What happends if the FBI catches that part of your convo, and the next thing you know the FBI is at your door. It's happend before from people saying things over IM and other things over the web...

Ya, I might be a little paraniod, but I will never own a vehical with onstar, if i get one, I'm yanking it out.

Kadahaf

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston/Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT/'95 XL
Jason94sport said:
It has it's good things & bad things. I'm all for emergancy use & things like that. But not for monitoring trouble codes, oil changes, miles driven, speed etc. I'd never get it cause I have no use for it. GM is going to be making it standard in the next few years though. The buyer will have to decide to pay the subscription or not. I'm sure it can be "disabled" if one has a service manual.
you're correct. goto your local parts dealer, and ask for the BFH kit, and they might ask what kind of weight you will need but that's all you need to do!

old mechanic

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
R.I.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Big brother at its worse! With that said my wife has Onstar and between Onstar, car phone and cell phone I feel a lot better with her having them when she ventures out with the kids or friends to concerts 50 miles away that get over late at night.
Whats next? Same thing in our CABLE at home???
We will soon be called U.S.A. of RUSSIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I’ve been thinking about this some more and I don't mean to speak ill of OnStar. I suppose their service is a valuable asset to some people. It is also a good idea in theory. They seem like they try to defend people’s privacy, however the FBI can apparently do anything they want. Which if that takes precedence; it could trickle down to the city police level. I’m all for catching criminals, don’t get me wrong. I couldn’t stand the thought of buying a vehicle that is already bugged.

Like Rick said why not your house then? All new houses built will have sensors that detect temperature, smoke, electric usage and audio in every room. Have a 24 hour monitoring office. Anytime a threshold is reached, a call is made or police sent out. Sort of like a security system on steroids. Big Brother is watching you!