going for the gusto... | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going for the gusto...

OK there are way too many damn pages to read and see if it was covered and for some reason i cant get the search option to work for me lol. ok now to my question, do i have to use 20 wheels if i go with a 3 or 4 inch drop or can i use 18 or 19's. i have lift blocks from a f-250 in both 3 and 4 inch and i will just use em as lowering blocks just haven't decided if i want 3 or 4 inch drop. just wondering on wheels cause someon told me i will have trouble getting a jack under the x if i dont have 20's

Whoever told you that is FOS. If you keep the tire height the same, it doesn't matter if you were running 13" rims. But since you are lowering it, I would suggest getting at least 18's to finish the look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i figured he was FOS as well. specially now that i found some with big drops and this members slammed98z explorer which looks like it has Mach 1 mustang wheels on it.

007.jpg

i just need to know what thickness spacer i would need. i would like to run 8.5 or 9 in wide wheels up front and 9 or 10 in the rear. but when i test fitted some ford gt reps off a shelby gt500 i couldn't find a spot to remount the parking brake cable.... and with those wheels i think i figured i needed a 1 1/4 inch spacer in the front and 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 in the rear. then i need to figure out a tire size that wont interfere with the fenders lol. it will be a learning process but i think i can proceed with the stock wheels for now. since i have seen other explorers with 4 inch drops.

I am running 18x9's up front and 18x10's in the rear.

They are Saleen Rims, from a 99-04 Mustang. The 05+ Mustang had a slightly wider Wheel Mounting Surface to Wheel Mounting Surface width than the previous generation. So a spacer would be required...the FR500 wheels are available in the correct offset for the 94-04.

All 94-04 Mustang Wheels have the correct offset for the Explorer. With the correct offset, no spacer is needed.

Also make sure your tire height stays the same as the Explorer was originally equipped, 29".

Ryan

^^^^^^^I tried putting 04 cobra wheels as well as 07 shelby wheels and neither would fit on the front due to the hub, my explorer is 2wd so the hub for some reason must be bigger then the rangers and 4wd/awd explorers. but idk. maybe im just crazy, or someone before i bought this thing put aftermarket rotors on it and thats the problem but then again it can cause the stock wheels fit. I'll measure the hub when i get to work and find out what the size of the hub is. should be 70.3 or 70.5 i think.

BTW what size tires are you running i was thinking of getting these wheels

mustangtuningshelbywheels.jpg

Cheap rotors are not cast and machined to the EXACT specs when it comes to hub height (depth?) I have heard of people having to cut .0625 -.125 off the top of the hub (where the dust cap installs) to get the cheap rotors to fit.

But I guarantee that they SHOULD fit....

My tires are 255/55-18 up front on 18x9 Saleen (replica) Rims, and out back I have 285/50-18 on 18x10 Saleen (replica) Rims

Ryan

I also had front fitment issues with my 1995 2WD. I do not have the hub diameter with me at this time but I do know that it is larger than the stock Mustand hub bore. So I had the same experience as J_Train with the 2wd X.

The question is, can the smaller hub diameter rotors be swapped in?

BTW, my work-around was wheel spacers. The X looks waaay better now that the wheels are pushed out to be flush with the body on the rears and slightly further out on the front. I will post pics tonight. Some may think this is unorthdoxed but... I have Dodge R/T 18" wheels on it now.

well i actually tried wheels from my buddies 04 gt mustang and they fit... maybe the last set i tried from a 03-04 cobra were after market. i know 05 and up wont fit a 2wd do to the offset and backspacing.

I just love bringing back an old thread. I've had my explorer lowered for a couple of months but am thinking of going 4"blocks in the rear and correcting the neg camber in the front. What are we supposed to use for camber correction? I've looked around on the web and can find nothing.

I just love bringing back an old thread. I've had my explorer lowered for a couple of months but am thinking of going 4"blocks in the rear and correcting the neg camber in the front. What are we supposed to use for camber correction? I've looked around on the web and can find nothing.

Approximately .75 degree of camber adjustment needed for each inch of height change. GL
(dead links)

Be sure to get an alignment that has a longer warranty period such as 1yr / 12k miles. I had to have my X realigned 3 times before it would stay in place. Surely it can be done right the first time however I think I got techs that either didnt properly torque down the camber bolts or didnt really nail the specs the first time.

axle position

Y'all are talking about putting universal lift/lower blocks in the rear, to lower the axle has to be on top of the springs, wouldn't moving the axle to the top of the springs lower it anyways? It's 23:45 here and I haven't looked under my 97 merc yet, but I'm thinking my axle is under the spring pack. Help?!

Y'all are talking about putting universal lift/lower blocks in the rear, to lower the axle has to be on top of the springs, wouldn't moving the axle to the top of the springs lower it anyways? It's 23:45 here and I haven't looked under my 97 merc yet, but I'm thinking my axle is under the spring pack. Help?!

No, your springs are under the axle if you are stock.

Thanks

No, your springs are under the axle if you are stock.
Ok, thank you limited. So to drop my truck 1-2" I'm looking at $40 for the lowering blocks plus an alignment right?

Correct. thats all you need. well im back with a 96 red sport and it will be lowered. i gave up on lowering the green 96 that i had asked questions about. it has been converted to 4wd and lifted 7 inches and rolls on 36 inch tires. now on to the lowered explorer. im thinking maybe 2 inches. seems safe that way. it kinda site low as it is now. will post pictures later. the front end needs work i found a limited grill that it going to get. I may look for a street appearance package bumper from a ranger. what do you guys think? and possibly the wheel i talked about last time.

temporary_zpsd04ac5cd.jpg

mustangtuningshelbywheels.jpg

redex_zpsd08c923c.jpg

This isn't my thread so I will move this as soon as I get home and start my own. Lol didn't mean to high jack this thread that's been dead a few times.

Back