going for the gusto... | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going for the gusto...

Project X ad. pop up windows:

here's a tip to make them less annoying.

you will get 2 pop up ad windows. minimize them instead of closing them. this way, no more pop up windows will try to load.

please sign the guestbook, we need feedback as the site is still under construction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for all you guys w/ first gen X's here is a link to a place that sells drop beams just for the explorer.....413 is kinda high for a drop if you ask me but there is a lot involved in droping an I beam suspension....i dont think you need to change anything but the beams but it invloves taking the entire front suspension apart..... well here it is...

Dead Link Removed

hope this helps....l8r

Those look like good beams, and worth the extra cost. Alot of the drop beams have strength problems, and crack or break pretty easily.

FYI I have a 1st gen X here in NWA (he's also a member of SE), and we will be dropping it sometime soon....well as soon as I get off my butt and do my part. As suspected, you will be able to find the tech write up for drop on the Project X website.

Hey guys! update on dropping to your Ex, READ THIS if you have droped your Ex in the front with the flip, or are thinking about it!!!!!

readme

:thumbsup:

I thought about doing that when I flipped mine, but just didn't have the patience or time. Probably will concider it in the future....that is if the torsion bars stay that long.

lol, i just read my own webpage i made and it looks like the only english i've ever had is hooked on phonics. Sorry about that :) I made it close to 3 in the morning, at least i think.... and I'm too lazy to fix it, i think you can still understand it.

ok guys....i decided to play around w/ the tortion bars last night :D ......i removed the adjusters untill there is a good 1/4 inch between the adjuster cam and the plate that holds the screw....it sits a little less than 1/4 inch off the bump stops...

my question is can i safely remove the bolt with the adjuster cam in the stock position? i think that this will give me the height im looking for but i was reading through the thread and some of you have had the tortion bar come loose...but the cams were flipped....so im wondering if i dont flip them i might be ok....or maybe an easily removed tac weld might be a good choice?

any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.:cool:

There is no problem in removing the adjustor bolts completely. However, if you remove both bolts, then your sides might not be even, so double check that.

any one else who has had their stuff lowered longer got any comments?....uhmm uhmm godfather?

i ran with my bolts out for a couple thousand miles. i put them back in a little bit because the front was too low for me.

well guys i just got done lowering the rear w/ the 2" blocks from the zone and it was a piece of cake....some good ol redneck engineering on the U bolts(bend them w/ a pipe) the stuff went right together....no shoving on the axel....im not sure how every one else was doing it but ill give a write up on the procedure in another thread so that everyone wont have to go through the 14 pages here....

i think i nailed the front where it needs to be the first time....wow the handeling is a lot more precise....next order of business....18x9 wrapped in some agressive rubber...im thinking of the eagle 212

You got some upgraded sway bars on that bad boy? That will help with handling too.

Congrats man, sorry I didn't see this sooner or I would have commented for you. Glad to hear you are enjoying the ride quality, and handeling.

I didn't get any pics from when I put my blocks on, and I need some for the rear write up on my website. If you are interested shoot me an email, and we will let you do the write up on it (or I can do it if you don't feel like comming up with one) and give you proper credits for it. You can still post it here of corse, just making an offer.

well i should have gotten pics of me in progress but i didnt.....maybe i can do a reenactment???? well i just posted a quite lengthy thread so feel free to use what ever you want or i can email you the text file....its up to you....if you want to use it all i could delete the post here and put a link to your site instead....let me know what ya want to do.

hahaha I was thinking of doing a reinactment too. I was hoping that you had pics, but I may use your text if you want. I'm all about peer contributions on the site. I'll let you know later as I'm headed out of town right now.

Godfather, feel free to use my pictures on my sight if you want to include anything i did.

Alright, after reading this thread for the past two hours and writing down the things I do not understand... I only came up with one thing that puzzels me....

Why would a 4x4 have more trouble if it was lowered more then two inches compared to a 2wd?

I am looking to go about 3 in the front and about 2 in the back or maybe do 2 in the front and 2 or 1 (1 1/2 if possible)

I am not looking to be "going for the gusto" because any lower on these horrible roads and I would smack most of my car on the roads, which I am sure isnt good for it.

One other question, to get 3 inches in the front, is a torso flip needed (was kind of unclear about that because of so many different opinions)...

Let me know, I am looking forward to starting this process soon.

Ive heard its bad to lower a 4X4 more than 2" because of the cv joints in the drive shafts for the front wheels. Too much of an angle on them will make them bind up. About the torsion flip thing... every truck is different and you wont know untill you do it. I would say that for 3" you will most likely have to do it but most of the time 2" is about what you can get out of them without doing it. But like I said... every truck is different.

i didnt even remove the adjuster bolts all the way and i got about 2" out of it.....just have to try it man.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i lowered the front of my explorer about 4 inches, and my 4wd works fine. Also, first take out your bolts and see if that is low enough, if it isn't, then flip the adjustors and put the bolts back in some. You won't know what you need to do to get it that low until you do it :)

Back