Going from normal to Sync oil with 120K+ mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going from normal to Sync oil with 120K+ mileage?

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
I just picked up a 2002 XLT. It needs an oil change in like 200 miles.

I have like 10, gallon jugs of 5w30 and 10w30 Mobile 1 from my track cars that from engine build day one, have ALWAYS had Mobile 1 in them.

What are the thoughts on changing over to Sync oil now on a SUV that has 123,x.. miles on the engine?

I was going to hit the store on the way home, grab a K&N Gold oil filter and change the oil but I don't know if I should keep standard oil or not. I know there has been some debate that changing from one to the other can cause leaks but I've always rebuilt my engines and only run M1, so I've never had a personal experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has been debated a few times before on the forum. Some say go with it others say dont do it. I believe Aldive (RIP) always said it was ok to change at high miles. I have 120,x.. on my 98 and i plan on changing to synthetic oil by my next oil change.

There is no difference at this level between normal and synthetic oil. It is perfectly fine to switch no matter what your mileage is. The only real difference between normal and synthetic oil is the resistance to breaking down from heat and wear, increased stability over a greater range of temperatures, and a greater ability to hold the additives in suspension for a longer period of time. Outside of that, oil is oil.

It's as good a time as any to run a Synthetic.

Just keep in mind that 10w30 is pretty heavy compared to what that engine CAN run with....like 5w20 Running a Full synthetic 5w20 in that engine is totally safe, even if it does have 120k miles on it.

I would be more worried about the timing chain tensioners at this point....no matter WHAT oil you put in there.

Ryan

Back