• Register Today It's free!

Going non-AC What to do?

JohnnyFiveOh

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I want to gut my truck of all AC components. Down the road I'm going to swap a 5.0 so this will help make it easier.

What components can I take out still making everything else function properly?
- Condenser is definitely going!
- Receiver dryer?
- Compressor?
- What else?

I will be installing a non-AC heater box. What model and year should I get the replacement heater box from?

You will need the new non A/C belt, but if your going 5.0 then deal with it for the new engine...

You will need a non A/C heater box.

Other then that I think you have it covered.

The wiring harness' will unplug from the main harness no problem (just like a factory non A/C truck.

I plan to convert my AC compressor to a full on board air setup.. :) so you might consider keeping the compressor, switch, and belt

If you really want to get into it the entire dash heater control needs to be yanked out along with the vacuum control switch under the dash...

I also tbelieve you must jump a wire, to disable the computers A/C WOT input.....if I remember right

Maybe what I'll do then is keep the compressor on and plugged in and remove the rest of the components. Any problems with leaving the back of the compressor open(no hoses attached)?

What model and year truck should I get the heater box from? I guess it'll be from a ranger. I'd like the most clearance possible but can modify it down the road when I do the engine swap if needed.

Back