going to a solid axle 44 and keeping the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going to a solid axle 44 and keeping the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern

Does anyone know of a way to keep the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern when going to a solid axle 44????

I know some Dodge's had that pattern. But know that that setup is not the way to go.

I am thinking of having a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern drilled into my existing wheels. I will need to have the center of the wheels machined out about 1/8" to fit the hub/bearing assembly through the center of the wheels. Has anyone done this, or know of anyone that has?? I figure by doing this it would save about $800 minus the cost of having the new pattern drilled (the cost of new wheels and rear axles, brakes etc.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If ya drill the rims, they're gonna be signifigantly weaker... don't do it. Go 5 on 5.5 front, and in the rear re drill the drums, assuming ya got em. If not you can always get some custom axles of some form which would be pricey... or you could run 5x5.5 in the front, leave the 5x4.5 in the rear, but then if ya get a flat, ya got to have a spair fer both...
Pete

or go I don't know where it is sold but I have heard of a spacer that goes from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5.5 and slap those on the rear since the dana 44 will probably be at least an inch wider.

It would be significantly cheaper to get a pair of new rear axleshafts made with a 5 on 5.5 pattern, have the drums re-drilled and get new wheels, then spend $800 on making your wheels weaker just to keep the bolt pattern.

Yes, I could keep 2 different bolt patterns, but tire rotation would be a little hard to do. And the issue with 2 spares.

I don't think spacers are a good idea, too much leverage on everything.

I didn't say it was going to cost $800 to have the wheels redrilled. I was saying that it would cost $800 for new wheels ($400+), new rear axle shafts ($300+), and new rear brake setup ($100??). I didn't know if redrilling would weaken the wheels too much or not. I hadn't heard anything either way on it, so I thought that might be the way to go.

As far as weakening the wheels significantly, is this a fact or just an opinion. Does it weaken them enough to be dangerous??? I know some racecar and other wheels have dual bolt patterns. So I am just curious about that statement.

Thanx for the feedback. Just trying to come up with some options.

ok, from what I've heard, redrilling the wheels is probably not the way to go.

I have checked on redrilling the rotor/hub-bearing assy. and that won't work either (not enough room on the backside and rotor for the 4.5 pattern).

I have heard that dodges 44 hub setup is not desireable. BUT since they do have the 4.5 pattern already in them....what needs to be done to get the dodge stuff to work on a bronco 44??? And are there any kind of "upgrades" that can be done to the dodge setup??? By the way, what exactly is the problem with the dodge setup???

I still think the easier route would be to go to the 5 on 5.5 pattern in the rear.

Drill out the drums in the rear to a 5 on 5.5 pattern.

OR

What about using the drums from an F150 or Bronco with an 8.8" rear?

Might want to look into that last one.

What about using the drums from an F150 or Bronco with an 8.8" rear?

i think that this is the way to go as well! call the scrap yard and have a locker installed before you go for the install.

You could have Stockton make you some rims with dual bolt patterns (4.5 and 5.5). They are pretty reasonable...

Just get a ford 9" for the rear!!

Yeah, just get an old 66-79 bronco and steal the axles off of it. You could probably get the bronco for less than a grand!!

These are all Early Bronco axles.

66-72 have D30 front axles with drums.
73-75 have D44 front axles with drums.
76-77 have D44 front axles with discs.

These are fullsize Bronco axles.

78-79 are full width D44s with discs.

Back