Going to buy an '03 Aviator, any tips or info? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going to buy an '03 Aviator, any tips or info?

Robman

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
Hello! I'm new to the 3rd gen side of the forums as most of my participation has been in the 2nd gen portion but there's a 2003 black Lincoln Aviator that I'm looking to purchase around these parts.

They are based off the 3rd gen explorer so I wondered if anyone has any tips or need to know information that would be helpful to me. The aviator is the kittyhawk special version with black leather seats(heated/cooled) and badging. I see these aviators come with the mustang dohc 4.6 putting out 302 hp/300tq and use the dreaded 5r55e or s trans, the guy says it's been replaced not long ago. It has higher km's on it at 330 000km but I'll be getting it for $1000 Canadian. He says he's had the brakes done, pads/rotors/calipers all around and replaced the rad and fixed the air conditioning and has 4 michelin tires he'll throw in for $200 more dollars. I've heard it run and there's a small manifold tick at start up but seems to go away when it idles down. The front diff has a small leak but he's had the rear diff seals done recently.

I like the way it looks, especially the interior. Anyway that's about all I know about it for now. I'm going to get it to a mechanic for a safety before I buy it to make sure it will be worth buying.

Just make sure it runs smoothly. They have valve issues that show up with higher milage.

It seemed to start and run pretty good other than the mentioned manifold tick at start up. His wife has been the one driving it since they got it about 30 000 km's/4 years ago. It's not in mint condition by any means but I feel that it still has some life in it. ( and I really the like the look of them and the interior :D) I didn't ask him about the check engine light yet if it's on or not... which of course I should.

I have an 11 month old son and another on the way so I figured it would be a decent family mobile for awhile. The wife has a 2008 black limited escape 4wd that she got recently, it's nice.. 190 000km's with nice new michelins, it's harder on fuel than I thought it would be though, screen says 11L/100km and about 10 on a longer trip.

The aviator read 12.6L/100km but I have no idea how that guy's wife drives.

Well I took it for a test drive today and I passed on buying it, rear end whine and vibration with the ac on was the clincher.

-Need both upper ball joints
-rear passenger door didn't unlock
-manifold tick at start up
-some rust
- "check park assist" warning and tire pressure sensor warnings.
- slight shudder when taking off
-oil leak at front/bottom of engine
- needs premium gas
-still uses the garbage 5r55 trans
-fan clutch sounded like it was stuck
-didn't cruise along at 90km/h at a nice low rpm, sat just below 2000rpm.
-front diff leak

- And probably even more things that I didn't notice, even for 1000 bucks, I'mma gonna pass on that money pit.

Back