Going to look at a 94 Explorer today, your opinions please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going to look at a 94 Explorer today, your opinions please!

JeffNJ94Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Middlesex, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer 5MT
Hey everyone,

I saw a pretty nice looking 94 Explorer today, and I am going to take a closer look at it later today. I came across this great site and I thought some of you guys and gals would offer up your opinions on it. I didn't get the model, (it is not a limited) but its a 4-door, stick shift model, has a pretty clean cloth interior and the dark purple paint appears to be original and is in pretty nice shape. They are asking only $1200 and I'm hoping to get it for $1000. I did not see any rust, but it does have the body-colored running boards, so i still need to crawl under it. My biggest concern is that it has 174,000 miles. It has had the timing chain replaced and new brakes all around per the current owner. I just need a car to get me back and forth from work, a whopping 3 miles each way, for about a year. This truck seems to meet the bill. One thing I saw on it that seemed weird to me, was that it had locking hubs, and it look original. So please give me your comments, and if there is anything I should pay special attention too, let me know.

Thanks!

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good. The old Explorers were available with manual locking hubs. They're not very common, (most had auto hubs) but they had 'em. The manual trannys are good, way more reliable than the autos, and the engines are very reliable as well. If everything looks good on it, I say go for it. :thumbsup:

As you may well know....there are issues w/the first Gen Explorer.......

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169397

But, you got the standard trans.......Good. The HP issue, is a factor for me, though you have only a 3 mile commute......so it's not a problem for you. The other things I mentioned are not hard to fix.

So, it's sounding real tasty.......IMHO.

Aloha,Mark

The 94 is a GREAT year for the Explorer IMO

The 94 is a GREAT year for the Explorer IMO

Thats good! What makes it such a great year?

Anway, I went back to check it out a little better. I drove it around a little bit. There were a few things, the clutch pedal grabbed almost all the way up, but it didn't feel like it was slipping or anything. Also, i noticed the brakes seem to kind of lock up when you hit them when going slow, it almost felt like the anti rattle clips were missing from the calipers, i'm sure its nothing i can't figure out. Oh the A/C didnt work, is the 94 134a? or still R12?
Other than that it was all pretty good, drove better than my friends 97 ranger that we drove there in. All stock, no major rust and it even had a sunroof. All power options options work. I got them to take $1100 but then we had a problem. They had signed the titled in the wrong spot and scribled it out, which in NJ is a big no-no and I would not be able to get a new title. So they are going to get a new title tomorrow and we'll see.

The 94s had r134a. The power issue (I think they have plenty of power IMO, unless you have 3.27 gears) can be resolved with different gears. The 1st generation Ex's are excellent, reliable and tough vehicles. They are, IMO the best Ex's made in many (not all) respects.

Cool, I was worried it might be r12, cause we all now how expensive that stuff can be. I think the 91-94's are the best looking of the bunch, plus i was never a fan of the newer front suspension. As for power, I'm not looking for anything fast, but it seemed like it had plenty of power, plus i have a fast car in the garage for the nice days. Another question, this truck has the manual locking hubs, but the push button 4x4 on the dash, not a lever on the floor. Do you think this is the way it came from the factory, or do you think someone swapped from auto hubs sometime in its past??

likely swapped the hubs

I don't know if its 12 or 134. Look at the lines. If they have screw on type schrader valves, its 12. If that have quick connect type fittings, then its 134. The manual trans is never worth the money the automatic is. Reguardless of which is more reliable, if you ever want to sell it unloading a manual can be a hard process. This is why its cheaper than what its worth. I wouldn't buy one myself, and I have had many explorers.

But get it for what you want it for, and as you like it. Its the best explorer ford ever made:thumbsup:

Oh the A/C didnt work, is the 94 134a? or still R12?

The '94 Explorer has 134a, believe me, I own one........and my horror story about the A/c:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164634

The '94 explorer is best of the 1st Gens cause, it was the last.......FORD worked on the problems of the previous years. The trans is also an improved one over the previous years......though still, "a weak point."

1994 Ford Explorer Limited

from New Car Test Drive

Ford Explorer is the undisputed sales leader in the sport-utility market. And our recent experience with a Ford Explorer Limited told us emphatically that this leadership has been won through hard work and smart thinking. The result is a product that has everything -- well, almost everything.

The Ford Explorer has many features and benefits that surprise and please. It looks good, feels good, performs well and has great affordability. The MSRP sticker price on the base Explorer is $28,535. The top of the line Limited package adds many goodies and almost $1,500 to that number. It totals more than the Chevy S-Blazer or the GMC Jimmy but it's less expensive than the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and significantly less than the Range Rover.

Walkaround
Our four-door Limited was finished in Deep Forest Green Clearcoat Metallic. Despite some prejudices against green, this color really works on the vehicle. While somewhat less stylish than the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, the Explorer Limited makes its own subtle statement well. Monochromatic moldings and bumpers and smartly styled running boards -- yes, we said running boards -- give Explorer Limited a pleasing yet substantial look and off-road protection as well. An integral air dam under the front bumper houses and protects fog lights. A standard 100-pound-capacity luggage rack may be fitted with an optional ski rack. Our Explorer Limited also had the optional tilt-up or completely removable sunroof -- an important factory option for a vehicle meant to be used in the great outdoors.

At the rear of the vehicle, the bumper has a hitch platform for light trailer towing (serious towing should be attempted only with an approved aftermarket hitch). This platform also provides a handy step for entering the cargo area. The rear hatch may be lifted for full access to the rear, or the rear window may be lifted separately for quick, limited access -- one of the many nice Explorer touches.

The Inside Story
Explorer has the longest wheelbase in its class -- 112 inches. It pays off in a smoother ride and, especially, in interior room. Fold down the 60/40 split rear seatback and there is six full feet of cargo area length. That's 81.6 cubic feet of volume, the roormiest available. This is thanks in part to mounting the spare tire underneath.

Ford listed our four-door Explorer Limited as a five-passenger vehicle. For some competitors who claim five in the same basic configuration, the fifth passenger riding in the rear must be very small and very still. And in the Explorer, entering and exiting is easy -- whether you're seated in the front or rear -- thanks in large part to those aforementioned running boards.

The Limited package includes standard air conditioning, six-way power front bucket seats, premium leather seating, an electronics group, an overhead console and heated outside mirrors. Everything is there and well thought out. Placement of instrumentation is very good, as are the positions of controls, switches and amenities such as cup holders. Visibility inside and out is excellent.

The Explorer Limited's many safety features include intrusion beams in the doors, a standard four-wheel anti-lock braking system, and child-proof rear door locks. One significant item is missing, as it is on most sport utilities in 1994 -- a driver-side (and passenger-side for that matter) airbag. We're told it's coming in 1995. We think it should be here now.

Ride & Drive
Our Explorer Limited proved to be a most pleasant sport utility to drive. The wheelbase helped eliminate a great deal of the choppiness found in other sport utilities. The Twin Traction Beam front suspension with axle/coil springs and rear two-stage leaf springs provided a smooth ride with little body roll in turns.

The 4.0-liter 160-hp V-6 is coupled with a four-speed automatic transmission, standard in our Explorer Limited. Pedal-to-the-metal provided swift, sure acceleration and great passing and merging power, but the power fell short of Grand Cherokee's V-8. The engine did emit some noise as the power increased.

Our Explorer Limited had auto-locking front hubs with a Touch Drive transfer case for on-the-fly shifting from 2WD to 4WD and back at normal road speeds. Manual locking hubs and a manual shift transfer case are optional.

We took our Explorer on our favorite off-road course, and it performed flawlessly, climbing a rather steep grade with no trouble and negotiating a rock-strewn stream and a suspension-testing two-track. We're convinced Explorer can do anything any competing sport utility can -- and probably better.

Trailer towing can be accomplished by mounting a ball on the step bumper, but capacity is limited to 3,500 pounds. Add an aftermarket load-equalizing hitch and the cooling package, specifically a 3.73 rear axle, and towing capacity is increased to 5,400 pounds for the 4X4; 5,600 for the 4X2.

Final Word
Ford used the knowledge it gained from the Bronco II to create and build the Explorer. And the result is that the Explorer is everything the Bronco II wasn't. The Explorer is bigger and more refined. Room, comfort, power and features have been built in without major penalties in bulk and weight. The Explorer has been given utilitarian capabilities yet is stylish in the extreme. It works, and works well. The fact that Explorer predated the Jeep Grand Cherokee and still manages to compare very favorably -- and perhaps most important, is the sales leader -- is a good indication of the wisdom at Ford.

The test drive of our Explorer Limited included a weekend fishing expedition, and the vehicle was enjoyable on- and off-road. It accommodated four of us and our required trappings on a four-hour freeway ride, then over miles of back roads and two-tracks. There was easy access to the seats and cargo area, and ample power to get through mud and soft sand and up some short, steep grades.

The Explorer compares well in price to the Jeep Grand Cherokee, although the Grand Cherokee we tested had the optional 220-hp V-8 (Explorer is only available with the 160-hp V-6) and some other extras. Our only real disappointment is the lack of a driver-side airbag. Funny, because it's on the Bronco now.

Order our 200+ page magazine of reviews. Send $8.00 (S&H included) to New Car Test Drive, 2145 Crooks Rd. Suite 200, Troy, MI 48084

© 1994 New Car Test Drive, Inc.

A review by autotrader.com:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/popup...advanced=&model=EXPLOR&color=&article_id=2433

Folks here, have mentioned that U-Haul won't rent you a trailer if you got a 1st Gen Explorer.

Your locking frt hubs were more than likely an aftermarket replacement......IMHO.

Someone also mentioned re-grearing.........IMHO, it costs too much to do.........frt and rear gears, need to be changed on a 4x4.........better to move on and find another vehicle, IF you don't like the gears. Or, IF you don't mind spending $$$, go ahead.

Aloha, Mark

Don't forget the radius arm bushings. They are a pita to replace.

The radius arm bushings are cake. Just lift it up, remove the brace that hold them in place, and its a 1 hour job to do both. Forget tearing the entire assembly apart, thats a waste of time.

Gen I's look like a truck, the rest look like vans. :p:

Love my '94, it's NEVER let me down whether it's 100 degrees or 40 below. :thumbsup:

Well, she's all mine now! I think thats a good thing :) I don't know what gearing it has, but it seems pretty powerful, is the ratio stamped on the rear anywhere? It also has one touch down window on the driver side, the small things in life that keep us happy! Now for the problems.

- The gas gauge does not work, is there any common weak link here?

- Radius arm bushings, boy are they shot!! If your lightly tap the brakes your hear and feel a clunk! A quick visual inspection, stick a fork in them they're done, guess i know what my first repair is!.

- There is a slight smell of gas in the driverside rear wheelwell, maybe a fuel line? The tank seems to hold pressure, as pressure is released when I opened the cap. Any ideas?

- I put it in 4x4 and it made a lot of noise when turning. Now i know some is expected on dry pavement, but it seemed excessive, at least i know it works!

-I need to change all the presets in the radio from spanish stations to Rock stations :p:

So far thats it, I only drove it about 5 miles home, but I like the way it felt, i think its going to be a good truck once i get the few bugs worked out of it. Any ideas on what I should do to fix it would be great. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow.

Should not be a bunch of pressure in the fuel tank, 90% it should be the canister purge solenoid

4x4 makes noise, especially if you are new to it, a 94 truck is going to need to be gone through a bit

Search for how to replace the radius arm bushings and do a shake down test on the front suspension

The fuel sender in the tank is likely shot, it is part of the fuel pump

A search can really help get you started.

And CONGRATS

Gas guage is probably the sending unit or float. Drop the tank

Radius arm, like I said, cake. Just drop the supports. Take out the four center bolts, two frame bolts, and if never done before there will be two rivets (rather large ones) that'll have to be air hammered out (or regular hammer and a lot of cussing)

The gas smell is listed on another topic here somewhere, I know I just read it.:thumbsup: :usa:

Radius arm, like I said, cake. Just drop the supports. Take out the four center bolts, two frame bolts, and if never done before there will be two rivets (rather large ones) that'll have to be air hammered out (or regular hammer and a lot of cussing)
QUOTE]

Well from doing a little reading on this site, i might need new radius arm drop brackets, they are very oval from what i can see, and apparently they should be round! I don't know if i should look for a used set, or new ones i found online are not to much (under $100 for the pair)

The radius arm crossmember is rivited to the frame with 3 rivits per side, a 4" grinder will make short work of them, remove the head punch it through
Air hammer will work too but can ***** up the frame and it takes a bit longer/more effort.
I use my grinder alot so I am biast

Just because some cross members "oval out" doesn't mean yours will be, most of the ones I have replaced are fine
Rubber bushings are OEM, urethane will last longer and provide a stiffer ride.

After you replace the bushings you should drill the holes out to use 1/2" grade 5 or 8 replacement hardware.

Most auto parts stores will have the bushing kits, including the white nylon spacers, if not you can get those from the dealer el cheapo

This explorer I have now had had the bushings replaced, and had still ovaled the carrier. I grabbed my welder, added a little metal and got it back to round. Put in the new bushings and its money!

The grinder works better, but you get more man points for using the air hammer!

http://www.manlaws.com/

:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, here are some pics, take a look at the radius arm bushings, think those brackets might be ovaled out? Not to bad for $1100. I've cleaned a few spots on the seats and they seem to be coming out really good. As for the 4x4, i know it makes some noise, but i had an 85 ranger 4x4 and it was nothing like this!

Now for the pics:
IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

Back