Going to look at a double SAS'd 3rd gen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going to look at a double SAS'd 3rd gen

ah yeah I've talked to the owner of this before... the rear end is out of a sport trac and the front end is from a later model jeep cherokee...

So I wonder if the steering is from the Cherokee. With the way you state that it sounds like it would be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah the dana 30 is what the cherokee had stock, so thats what I would go with. Unless the owner of that donor cherokee changed it out which is doubtful.

Did anyone get any pictures of this X with the solid axles? I mean the underside of it to see how this guy did it.

Fabricate some leaf springs mounts on the frame, fabricate some mounts on the axles..get the correct length of springs..and BANG. Obviously its alittle more complicated than that but thats the basic idea.

I'm guessing if you get the rear axle out of a sport track then you could also use the same brake lines and hubs, right? another question is, what about the sensors for the A4WD? or is that in a different place?

I'm guessing if you get the rear axle out of a sport track then you could also use the same brake lines and hubs, right? another question is, what about the sensors for the A4WD? or is that in a different place?

The A4WD systems uses the ABS sensors on the 3rd gens. On all models, the front sensors are integrated into the hubs. For the models equipped with traction control the ABS sensors are at the rear hubs. For the non-traction control types, the rear ABS sensor is located on the diff itself and uses a tone ring mounted to the ring gear.

Not sure if the Tracs have a similar setup with ABS/A4WD being tied together, or whether the sensors would be compatible.

Ok, so doing a SAS is a shot in the dark unless you really really know what you are doing. I'm guessing that's why not many have done it?

Oh ok. Well I hope someone will be the guinea pig soon lol. I'd like to see how it is done.

Guess what I found again?!
Front End
29994467.jpg

Decent shot of the rear end
29994456.jpg

Getting more suspension pics sent my way tomorrow. This truck was just taken to Moab last weekend, but the guy f'd stuff up because the gear ratios among the axles were different.

I dont know if this is the same one, but how many double SAS do you see?

Pics courtesy of the dealership.

Guess what I found again?!
Front End
29994467.jpg

Decent shot of the rear end
29994456.jpg

Getting more suspension pics sent my way tomorrow. This truck was just taken to Moab last weekend, but the guy f'd stuff up because the gear ratios among the axles were different.

I dont know if this is the same one, but how many double SAS do you see?

Pics courtesy of the dealership.

Nice pics, I hope you get some of the rear. I like to see if the did any mods on the rear frame.

I told the guy I want to see the suspension to "show to my mechanic" who is me. I want pics to do the swap.

If I understand, this Ex is for sale at a dealership?? What are they asking??

$7000, has 111000 miles.

Wow. Nice find Nate. :thumbsup:

NHarris said:
$7000, has 111000 miles.

It's almost worth it just to buy it for the layout of the SAS. I'm sure there is a lot of custom fab stuff on it that could be made and sold.... Anyone know if BTF has an extra 7K laying around?

It's almost worth it just to buy it for the layout of the SAS. I'm sure there is a lot of custom fab stuff on it that could be made and sold.... Anyone know if BTF has an extra 7K laying around?

Whenever Macknos94 gets his SAS done for his Mountaineer he was talking about making an SAS kit that would include everything but the axles. I bet he's not too far from being done. :popcorn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, apologizes in advance for my ignorance, but what is SAS? Don't know but the trucks looks sweet.

Back