Going to look at a double SAS'd 3rd gen | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going to look at a double SAS'd 3rd gen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

29994467.jpg

Looks like he had to cut out the whole front crossmember. I wonder if he put in a new one tucked up in between the frame rails.

Ronin8002 said:
Looks like he had to cut out the whole front crossmember. I wonder if he put in a new one tucked up in between the frame rails.

It looks a little different underneath than mine, is that a 4.0?

It looks a little different underneath than mine, is that a 4.0?

Hard to tell from the pics.

I understand it's lot simpler to do a leaf spring setup in the front but I kind of see it as a step backwards. Would love to see a setup that uses coilovers instead but that would probably involve a linked setup to locate the axle.

Guess what I found again?!
Front End
29994467.jpg

Decent shot of the rear end
29994456.jpg

Getting more suspension pics sent my way tomorrow. This truck was just taken to Moab last weekend, but the guy f'd stuff up because the gear ratios among the axles were different.

I dont know if this is the same one, but how many double SAS do you see?

Pics courtesy of the dealership.

A sas is a serious project... With that said I love the look BUT WOULD NOT BUY IT! Mainly because if guy couldn't even get gear ratios correct who knows what else was half assed or didn't do correct... Anyone can weld some crap up(not calling this that but it isn't properly done imho
Also if it was me I wouldn't do any less than a d44 if I'm doing this much work I'd hate to see those weak hubs break with those 35's...
Plus like James said looks like whole front crossmember is gone.. maybe a coilover setup would allow you to keep that(I'm not a big fan of degrading the structural integrity of the chassis)

A sas is a serious project... With that said I love the look BUT WOULD NOT BUY IT! Mainly because if guy couldn't even get gear ratios correct who knows what else was half assed or didn't do correct... Anyone can weld some crap up(not calling this that but it isn't properly done imho
Also if it was me I wouldn't do any less than a d44 if I'm doing this much work I'd hate to see those weak hubs break with those 35's...
Plus like James said looks like whole front crossmember is gone.. maybe a coilover setup would allow you to keep that(I'm not a big fan of degrading the structural integrity of the chassis)

I was kinda thinking the same thing about the gears, maybe he got bad info on what was inside the diffs but who knows.

I wonder how one would deal with the ABS system on a 3rd gen SAS since it's all tied into the hubs and advancetrac on the later models.

I wonder how one would deal with the ABS system on a 3rd gen SAS since it's all tied into the hubs and advancetrac on the later models.

I've wondered the same thing. What stops me is how to handle the ABS system, but a local shop told me they would figure out a way to get it all to work.
I'd like to track down whoever did this if it was a shop. I'm calling the dealership when I get done at lunch. They said they would send me a lot of suspension pictures.

And its a 4.0L V6, btw.

I've wondered the same thing. What stops me is how to handle the ABS system, but a local shop told me they would figure out a way to get it all to work.
I'd like to track down whoever did this if it was a shop. I'm calling the dealership when I get done at lunch. They said they would send me a lot of suspension pictures.

And its a 4.0L V6, btw.

Steering worries me more, wonder which steering box they used?

I got some excellent rear end photos. Looks like its just a bolt on for the rear. :D I'll upload as soon as my girlfriend's baby falls asleep. lol

DSCN3329.jpg

DSCN3330.jpg

DSCN3331.jpg

DSCN3332.jpg

DSCN3333.jpg

DSCN3334.jpg

DSCN3335.jpg

I would mount that shackle in a different location, but it looks like they just put it in an available frame hole.

I can't see the pics.

I can't see the pics.

Figured, I was trying to post from my email but that didnt work. Stand by...

Give that a try. I uploaded them to photobucket this time.

I got them. I don't know what everybody else thinks, but I would be afraid to drive it. That front spring hanger looks like it will break at anytime, back shackle looks cheap. I can see by the pics if we don't modify are rear frame, you will not have much wheel travel. Did he send you anymore of the front?

I got them. I don't know what everybody else thinks, but I would be afraid to drive it. That front spring hanger looks like it will break at anytime, back shackle looks cheap. I can see by the pics if we don't modify are rear frame, you will not have much wheel travel. Did he send you anymore of the front?

X2 looks slapped together using whatever was available... Lots of rust so apparently the previous owner didn't care to protect all his work with a few bux in spray paint...
I would love to see the flex on this vs ifs irs to see if its even worth it...

I'd bet anything this thing (look at it) has been rode hard and put up wet too many times to count...

This a bad example to compare to irs. Yes this one is a fail, but one done propelly would be stronger setup for offroading.

X2 looks slapped together using whatever was available... Lots of rust so apparently the previous owner didn't care to protect all his work with a few bux in spray paint...
I would love to see the flex on this vs ifs irs to see if its even worth it...

I'd bet anything this thing (look at it) has been rode hard and put up wet too many times to count...

I agree. The axle isn't even centered and that's prolly why he had to cut a portion of that gas tank side guard (if you call it that). I'm not sure if the frame is perfectly parallel to perform a SAS. Look at where he put those spring hangers. He prolly had to weld it there because the springs wouldn't be perfectly parallel with each other if he had extended it to where the frame straightens up under the rear passenger doors. I'll check tomorrow on the actual measurements. Sorry if I'm confusing anyone.

This a bad example to compare to irs. Yes this one is a fail, but one done propelly would be stronger setup for offroading.

Agreed. I'm glad someone did this. But he didn't do a very good job at it.

Essentially this kind of a set-up is a starting point as it gives the basics to getting the job done.
The last owner apparently took it to Moab to test it, said it did what he wanted it to do, then traded it in.
I do have more of the front, but its just as disappointing. I'll post those here soon.

I have considered doing a 3rd Gen double SAS but have some concerns about it myself. Does anyone know if the v8 3rd gen automatic is similar to the 2nd gen 4r70W, I'm curious if you could do a 4406 manual swap to one...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have considered doing a 3rd Gen double SAS but have some concerns about it myself. Does anyone know if the v8 3rd gen automatic is similar to the 2nd gen 4r70W, I'm curious if you could do a 4406 manual swap to one...

Now someones thinking outside of the box :thumbsup:

Back