going to own a 1994 Explorer soon... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going to own a 1994 Explorer soon...

phoenix02

Reaction score
City, State
Apple Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Aerostar XLT AWD Ext
... are there any major issues I should be aware of?

My wife's grandfather has a 94 Explorer, 4 door 2WD XLT that he is selling. He's the original owner, takes impeccable care of his vehicles, and everything on the car works great, including new tires, all 5, with less than 1000 miles on them. 87,000 miles on the odometer. Garaged all it's life until the last 2 years when he bought a new vehicle. He is selling it to us for $2100.

1- price seems a little on the high side, but ok for condition. Sound about right for SoCal?
2- what kind of MPG are you all realizing?
3- any major issues to be aware of? I know the trans is a weak link and plan on installing an external cooler.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my experience and reading stuff on here, things to look for are:

- Delayed or high RPM 1-2 shift when cold
- Valvetrain noise
- Radius arm bushings
- Oil pan leaks
- Vacuum leaks (trans modulator, worn/cracked plastic lines, rubber boots)
- Lower ball joints
- Misc sensors such as IAT, ECT, MAF

Price seems high for a 1st gen but if it's in excellent condition with no leaks or issues, it's worth it in terms of reliability. Check and see if there's a factory aux cooler for the trans (drivers side, in front of the radiator). A few people on here run a secondary aux cooler (it's on my to-do list as well). Just be gentle with the A4LD, no towing in OD, fluid & filter change.

I can't speak personally for mileage as mine is pathetic but I believe above 16 should mean everything is good. I think quite a few see around 20 if not some more?? Don't quote me on that.

I had to replace both radius arm bushings but mine also wasnt as well kept as your probably is, just make sure you do the tune ups on them when they come around to it, with that low of miles it should be fairly good engine wise, most the time i see 150k+ miles on explorers on here. I have a stock 94 sport 2wd with the 4.0l and get around 16 to 18mpg depending on where i am and what im doing.

with that low of miles it should be fairly good engine wise, most the time i see 150k+ miles on explorers on here

Just because the odometer says 87,000 doesn't mean there isn't a 1 or 2 before that :) My guess would be a 1.

If it has 87 thou then that's a very nice rig. Just hope it wasn't stored a long time without fluid changes. With that low of miles, I'd wonder about degradation from not being driven.

I was just taking a wild guess that someone wouldn't charge over $1500 unless it was in a great shape, but unless theres pics we shall probably never know haha.

if its someone somewhat close to you or loved ones chances are they wont screw you over, sounds like a good rig, be careful with the automatic trans but aside from that they are tanks, typ eof car you never hear of leaving someone stranded on teh side of the road, mpg was 16-18 for mine before studded tires and trans issues (no OD or torque lock) but i woul dtry and get that for closer to 1800 or so if i could in ur situation. worst he can do is say no.

I'm on my third first gen. I did have to replace the engine in my first one, but after that, I've never had any real problems with them. The one I've got now is a 94 Eddie Bauer. I bought it off my parents about a year after they bought it from the original owner. It's got 195k on it, but it's in pristine condition. Extremely well taken care of, and it shows. It's damn near flawless. I've done nothing but continue with the maintenance, and she's been running perfectly. Definitely doesn't look or Drive like a 20 year old truck. If yours is anything like this, you'll be more than pleased with it. Enjoy!

I wouldn't pay 2000 for a 1st gen. No matter what condition it is in. The price is set by the market. I've seen 1st gen, one owner, immaculate condition Explorers from 91-94 go for 1800 or less. I'm a huge Ex fan. But it isn't a Fox body Stang or IROC.

Had a chance to talk to my grandfather-in-law today about it. Couple more points-

1-it is definately 87k. He has hardly used it, but takes it for a spin or to the store at least once a week so it doesn't sit for too long. The longest it's ever sat was 2 months when he was down with cancer treatments a year ago.
2- in the last couple years, he had the ecu worked on, front end rebuilt ($400), AC worked on ($400), regular tuneup, new tires ($600). He has an oil change and check up done every 3-6 months whether the mileage warrants it or not.
3- he 's firm on the price as it's "bluebook" value. I can't really negotiate much, since he's offering $500 down and pay it off when we can.
4- he has all receipts and information since new.

So, I'm thinking it's not too far out of line, price-wise.

Had a chance to talk to my grandfather-in-law today about it. Couple more points-

1-it is definately 87k. He has hardly used it, but takes it for a spin or to the store at least once a week so it doesn't sit for too long. The longest it's ever sat was 2 months when he was down with cancer treatments a year ago.
2- in the last couple years, he had the ecu worked on, front end rebuilt ($400), AC worked on ($400), regular tuneup, new tires ($600). He has an oil change and check up done every 3-6 months whether the mileage warrants it or not.
3- he 's firm on the price as it's "bluebook" value. I can't really negotiate much, since he's offering $500 down and pay it off when we can.
4- he has all receipts and information since new.

So, I'm thinking it's not too far out of line, price-wise.

Go for it

Personally, I'd pay extra for information like that. It can be incredibly hard to get solid information from previous owners and that information can often help diagnose issues in the future.

At this point, I would look at big ticket items. Does the transmission work fully, smoothly and flawlessly? Are there ANY leaks? (some can be expensive or time consuming to fix)

Grandpa's truck?

What-a-ya-high!

Buy it!

Not 4x4 though so talk him down on that point. 2 bills for grandpa's 4x4 for sure, 2wd, not so much.

I mentioned the price, said that folks on this forum said $1800 or so is more in line with value. He said he knew he could get $2500-$3k for it, since kbb said that and people keep asking him if he wants to sell it. Got a bit indignant about it and told me if I had any reservations, I didn't have to buy it. He said he's not in a hurry to sell, so he doesn't mind listing it and selling to someone else at that price. He's an interesting guy sometimes. Kinda prideful, but a good guy nonetheless.

Anyway, I told him $2100 was ok as he was offering to accept payments, and knowing it's history completely had a value to me.

So, I'm going in for some surgery tomorrow, and after that, going to scrap my '95 Aerostar E4WD extended to get the down payment for the Explorer and go forward from there.

Thanks!

I wouldn't care if it was 4x4 or 2wd down here in Socal, especially Apple Valley area. Plenty of desert where the prerunners can play around. I got around in my 2wd 93 Explorer just fine all over the AV and Pismo and places in between. Do I prefer my 4x4 Explorer? Sometimes, yeah. But a damn near mint (if proven) 1st gen Explorer, I wouldn't hesitate.

$2,100 is fair for a clean truck.

I Paid $1,500 but it needed all new front axle bushings, ball joints, brakes, steering linkage. So $500 immediately. which is what I expected, no surprise there.

I came up with $2,939 for an Eddie Bauer 2wd and $3,686 for a Limited edition 4x4.

In the same condition.

2wd XLT $1,749 It's all in the options eh?

KBB

I would say to go for it. Yeah, it is a bit high in price. But look what he put into it and its condition. You probably won't find another with that mileage or maintenance record. And ask yourself if you could get something in that condition with that amount of miles on it for that price. 87k for a first gen Explorer is damn near unheard of unless you're being lied to (I know you're not). Usually the odometer has rolled past that a couple times by now. :p

My dad has had two. I learned to drive in the first one, he passed, and I soon will have the second. Great vehicles. Don't do any heavy towing. Maintain the transmission to spec. Vacuum lines can get old and not stay put or crack, and make sure you change the fluid in the tranfer case and differentials too.

MPG is around 18. I promise you'll love the thing! They last forever with good maintenance. And you won't get stuck unless you're completely inept!

Oh wait. 2wd. Nevermind the transfer case bit. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with the majority - go for it. We have a '92 XLT and a '94 Limited. Just put almost $1500 into the '92 because we like it and plan on keeping it. (What did we do? We had the engine pulled to replace a failed rear main seal, the oil pan gasket, and valve cover gaskets.) Neither of them have ever left us stranded.

Back