Going to Rear Disc Brakes...any adapters needed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going to Rear Disc Brakes...any adapters needed?

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I searched, to no avail....

I am upgrading my rear brakes to Disc brakes from a 95-01 X...

I got the backing plates, the calipers, the rotors, hoses parking brake cables, nuts, bolts, and all other hardware....

Do I need any adapters for the hoses to attach to the hard line where they currently meet the wheel cylinders?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nobody knows?

Anyone know the part number for the rear axle hardline?

Thanks,
Ryan

If those discs are going on your '92, return all the parking brake stuff you bought, as it won't work. In '93 they changed parking brakes, and those match with the later model disc brake equiped X's, but the '91 & '92s don't match up. I bought a parking brake pedal assembly from a boneyard thinking I could just swap that in, but it doesn't fit. You'll have to get some U clamps and splice the cables together. I swapped in the whole rear axle from a '99 (wanted the 4:10's), but replaced all hoses & cables with new as I didn't trust the old stuff, and for the hard line I just bought a 6' or so length from NAPA and bent it up to fit.

I know about the cables being different. I swapped in a rear-end from a 94 X (3.27 open to 3.73 Trac-Loc)

I have already addressed that...but thanks for the heads up...that is info that I had to find out on my own.....now it is here in the forum...Thanks!

I'll see about getting one from a JY.

Thanks,
Ryan

I ended up using a piece of 60" bulk line with flare nuts installed, and ends pre-flared.

I got out my handy little tubing bender, and went to town....

Now I just need to upgrade to Cobra Rear Brakes, with integral parking brake in the caliper..

Ryan

Back