Going twin turbo. 4.0 ohv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going twin turbo. 4.0 ohv

Yeah I know.... wtf!
But I'm doing it. I have lots of fabricating to do, since I can't find anything to just bolt on, because let's face it. That would be way to easy wouldn't it?
I have both turbos, two FMH blow-offs, and all the pipe I need. I have the plans pretty much drawn out.
I'm about to go fire up the torch now and get started, wish me luck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

umm good luck. and may i say holy ****. what part are you using like injector wise and all that good stuff

what type of turbos and supporting mods will you be running? Are you going to piggy back on your ecu or do a stand alone system?

Jon

if you want power and speed, one bigger turbo is better then twin turbo. twin turbo sounds like it would be better and faster but its not, it has to split and share the air. i swapped out my twin turbos on my mazda for one turbo and almost doubled my hoursepower:thumbsup:

if you want power and speed, one bigger turbo is better then twin turbo. twin turbo sounds like it would be better and faster but its not, it has to split and share the air. i swapped out my twin turbos on my mazda for one turbo and almost doubled my hoursepower:thumbsup:

Hmm i don't agree with you:thumbdwn:
When things are done right they work alot better. With turbos its not all about the size of the turbo but how you get your boost to the engine and how you get it in the engine.

What the heck are going to use for a transmission???

Sounds very interesting...

holy hell man thats so pimp good luck

good luck

I'm running into some major spacial issues. So I had to go with some smaller turbos. They're only three pounds of boost each, which gives me six pounds of boost pretty much... I don't want to risk putting any more than that because I'd rather not blow the whole thing up.

I will be using a piggy back set up for my ECU, I just haven't decided whether or not to use a programmable one or fixed.

I am also looking at performance camshafts and rocker arm assemblies, pretty much just playing with numbers.

As for the transmission, I have the Mazda 5 speed, I'm looking for overhaul kits, but the search is not looking good. A higher staged clutch isn't a problem though.

With all of this electrical bologna, I'm almost ready to go carbed.

dude that sounds sick, you have any pictures of it so far?

I broke my Mazda 5speed twice with a N/A motor putting 256 ft/lbs to the ground.....

Good luck keeping it together...

There are 0 strong/hi-perf parts for the 5 Speed

Ryan

i give the stock transmission 500 miles after install before it just falls to the pavement it can't handle the torque through a 700r4 in it and modify that so it can handle the power and abuse...put dual intercoolers on the X too :) sounds like a fun project...

Yes Ryan you are correct, 0....

Now looking for something that will bolt on, well I haven't looked yet, but hoping I can find something.

No pics. If I took any it would just be a butchered manifold. I have found that wishful thinking is futile when working with a ford.

I haven't lost all hope though, it just looks like I have to put the turbos further under to clear everything.

I'm getting a braintrust together this weekend to hopefully figure some of these issues.

why does everybody gotta go turbo now?

because it's the easiest and most sufficient way of obtaining true horsepower without having to build and overhaul a entire engine with a bunch of parts that will equal out to well over twice the cost of a homegrown turbo set up...

BTW Audi S4 00-02 my dream european car has a twin turbo v6 with 250hp stock...and can be modified to 500+ hp with a chip, race gas, and a upgraded turbo system...so in other words turbo is the way to go...

With that trans, you could look into swapping it out into an M50D R1HD for your normal one. These can be gotten from 1997 and later explorers and rangers with the SOHC. I believe it bolts right up in place of the old one, and is stronger since it is designed for the more powerful motor.

Kyle is right... except for the whole euro thing, j/k. A buddy of mine runs the FloridaGerman car club, he's got a Mercedes Benz 190, I think it's an '84. He's pushing close to 600hp. I would go euro, but his is ALWAYS busted, and my hands are to big for german engine bays.

And yes the HD will bolt up, I found that out earlier today, I also found a rebuilt one for 1200 dollars. I think that's going to be the cheapest I can find, but I'm still gonna look around for a bit.

check craigslist in your area may get lucky

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

easiest? How do you figure that its the eaiest way when supercharger installs are a matter of a couple of hours or even less? I've read about remote turbo setup, are cars too low to the ground to attempt such a thing, I'm very interested in doing it to my mercedes.

Back