Going wireless

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Platinum
I like wireless solutions for most situations, especially in my vehicle. Now that i have sync 3 running flawlessly in my 2015 Explorer, my sights have been aimed at going wireless as much as possible.
My Sync 3 does not have navigation, so i use CarPlay pretty much 100% of the time. Plugging and unplugging the iphone all the time is a pain. So my plan is as follows.
1. Getting the Carplay2Air adapter for wireless carplay. ($159.00 on their website)
2 Getting the wireless QC iphone holder to mount on my ProClip Mount. ($69.99 on their website)
3. Installing the Type C USB hub for Sync3, using the regular usb port for the CarPlay2Air adapter, and the type c usb to power the QC charger. ($99.00 on Amazon)
4. My answer to the hotspot offered by ford was to purchase a Sprint Drive Hotspot (bought one brand new one in sealed box off Ebay for $24.00 and Sprint has promotion for free unlimited line for a year) I have this installed already, It also has an app that keeps track of several things, since it stays plugged in the diagnostic port.
I know it is a little expensive, but WTH

update: CarPlay2Air has promotion for 129.99, no freight. So I just ordered it.
Will post how well it works as soon as i get it. I do not have to have the charger or type c hub for this to work, but one step closer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can definitely appreciate the wireless technology. Sounds like it will be a nice installation.

update: CarPlay2Air has promotion for 129.99, no freight. So I just ordered it.
Will post how well it works as soon as i get it. I do not have to have the charger or type c hub for this to work, but one step closer.

I've been eyeing that CarPlay2Air since it came out. This discount just made me pull the trigger. Looking forward to seeing how it works. If it's really nice to have, I might just have to get more for the other cars so I'm not moving it around all the time.

Thanks for the pointer.

Kinda disappointed, it is coming from China. Usually takes a lot longer to get here. Oh Well

Kinda disappointed, it is coming from China. Usually takes a lot longer to get here. Oh Well
Took over 6 weeks to get an item from the UK (shipped DHL Priority mail) and almost as long to get something from California.

Peter

Said 6-8 days...time will tell. Glad I’m 65 and have patience😂

Got the CarPlay2air today, unplugged my iPhone, plugged in the CarPlay2air in the usb. Found it on Bluetooth. Paired it, agreed to terms. Instant wireless CarPlay. Tried all apps and all worked perfectly. Went to store, turned all off...returned and connected to song right where it left off.

I received the new type-c usb hub and will install tomorrow. My Pro-clip QI Charging phone holder should be here in a couple of days. This will complete my total wireless iPhone to SYNC3 project.

Completed my wireless project today. I have 1 cable left to install when it gets here. The usb type-c to micro usb. To go from the new hub to the wireless charger, so I don’t have to pull the cigarette plug adapter out each time I get out.

I did not want to wait for the type-c to micro usb cable to come in(shipper has yet to ship it). I went to Discount Electronic and they had one in stock. Turns out to be Scosche brand...same company that made my wireless charger for Pro-Clips. I pulled back the silver trim to hide the cable as best I could. Will probably spend some time later to run the cable behind everything. I don’t know how to tell if the type-c port is putting out the higher charging amps or not.

Attachments

• 32BBFA46-1D2C-4C1B-8D69-38A87A3FF017.jpeg
    32BBFA46-1D2C-4C1B-8D69-38A87A3FF017.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 174
  • 194FD3B7-90C3-49C8-A351-35B1A044C251.jpeg
    194FD3B7-90C3-49C8-A351-35B1A044C251.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 8660CD6F-21AE-4372-AA70-4A9D258B85EE.jpeg
    8660CD6F-21AE-4372-AA70-4A9D258B85EE.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 1BD93026-AC14-4144-9794-6FE2882A2F9F.jpeg
    1BD93026-AC14-4144-9794-6FE2882A2F9F.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 175

I did not want to wait for the type-c to micro usb cable to come in(shipper has yet to ship it). I went to Discount Electronic and they had one in stock. Turns out to be Scosche brand...same company that made my wireless charger for Pro-Clips. I pulled back the silver trim to hide the cable as best I could. Will probably spend some time later to run the cable behind everything. I don’t know how to tell if the type-c port is putting out the higher charging amps or not.

Nice setup! I just added this to my project list! Did you ever end up re-routing/hiding your cable? If so, how'd you do it.

I received the new type-c usb hub and will install tomorrow. My Pro-clip QI Charging phone holder should be here in a couple of days. This will complete my total wireless iPhone to SYNC3 project.
Love my Proclip holders

Back