• Register Today It's free!

Good Aftermarket Brake Pad???

stubborn1

Reaction score
City, State
WISCONSIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 4wd XLT
I learned my lesson buying cheap brake pads and don't want to make the mistake again. About 14 months and 25k miles ago, I bought the $19 cheapy Autozone special pads. Needless to say, they are already worn down and require replacement. I'm not hard on the brakes and do a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a moderately priced ($50 range) set of front brake pads?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty happy with my Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. Front pair ran me $62 at pepboys. They're ceramic pads which is suppose to not only reduce noise but also reduce brake dust.

I've only had them on for 2 weeks, so I can't give you a long term evaluation on them. So far, they're quiet as a mouse and they produce almost zero brake dust (the main reason why I bought them)

95xploder said:
I'm pretty happy with my Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. Front pair ran me $62 at pepboys. They're ceramic pads which is suppose to not only reduce noise but also reduce brake dust.

Did those replace the "sure stops", that what I was going to suggest.

I can't remember the manufacturer, but one website said not to use ceramic pads if you do any towing. Is there any truth to this?? Do they cause more fade under load?

I would love to find a pad that reduces brake dust because I get a serious amount of dust in about two weeks time currently.

If you do any towing, your best bet would be to get some heavy duty metalic pads. Brembo makes some that would fit your needs, and they are a very big name in brakes. They also run about the same price as the Quiet stop pads.

I'm not 100 percent positive, but I think the quiet stop may have replaced the sure stops.

My Bendex work well but are very dusty !!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO (I happen to do brakes for a living) the BEST brake pads available for your X can only be found at your local Ford dealer. I have installed pads from every manufacturer, every design (ie..cermaic, metallic, carbon metallic, orgaic, etc...) and can tell you from experience, none hold up or work better than the OE Ford pads.

As for towing with Cermaic pads, we have found that this is a no-no. :nono: The pads build heat rapidly and when used in towing applications they overheat and crystalize (sp?). They then start to crack, dust out and squeel like mad.

performance friction carbon metallic are awesome

I have actually had pretty good luck with the higher level Autozone carbon fiber metalic pads. They stop good and wear good. Harder you stop - better they work. I'm running them on my 97.

AutoZone

I got the ceramic or carbon fibers, whichever one they said emitted less brake dust. Definite improvement, and 5,00 miles later still look new.
I think they were $50 or so.
Karl

anyone try the "Titanium" Ti22 pads that JC Whitney sells? I have seen them other places as well. I am very concerned about rotor wear.

Were your Autozone brake pads the ones that come with a lifetime warranty, its all a matter of how much you mind changing them, but I would rather spend $20 and just exchange them for free whenever they wear out than buy expensive ones

What shape were your calipers in when you changed your pads? Any corrosion that would have cause the pads to drag?

Jake Howk said:
Were your Autozone brake pads the ones that come with a lifetime warranty, its all a matter of how much you mind changing them, but I would rather spend $20 and just exchange them for free whenever they wear out than buy expensive ones
I agree. That's what I have and it last about 2 years before needing replacement but I change 'em every year/summer for free! How can you beat that?!?! Hey, if it stops the truck it stops the truck I don't care what its called. :smoke:

When it comes to brakes, don't cut a corner there!! Buy the best dang pads you can get, get the OEM pads from FORD and be done with it. You are not only putting your life at stake here, but mine also, LOL and little Suzi, Timmy, John, Linda, etc.

i have the titanium jcwhitney in the front and the carbon metallic in the back and i couldent be happier with them. i had the ford ones on before and i feel they are engineered to be quiet first then stop fast second

I think I might go with Hawk pads. Expensive, but I need a good pad because I don't want them eating up my drilled and slotted rotors.

Hartman said:
I think I might go with Hawk pads. Expensive, but I need a good pad because I don't want them eating up my drilled and slotted rotors.
I have the same rotors Hartman, where do you find the Hawk pads?

Back