Good base?

tonyroc14

Reaction score
City, State
LaHabra, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2135075805.html

Im looking to get an explorer. I had a 1991 bronco, but I need something that gets slightly better MPG. I need 4wd. Would this be a good base? I would definitely want to lift it to fit some 32-33's. I would be doing a lot of mud, rock crawling, and I will go in the snow a lot, and I'll do some higher speed desert/wash running as well. I see the 4" lift states 96 or above, what would I be able to do to lift this rig?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ad deleted. :(
?

Edit: oh! :( I'm very sad now I wanted that explorer, just my luck I am about to buy and then one I want is gone :( it was a 4x4 5 speed xlt and I think it had a 4.0 but it was a 95 so I'm not sure on ideas to lift it. I could probably fit 32's just buy lifting the torsions.

The Explorer Sport in your last post gets my vote. Im not sure about the V6 Explorer, but if your looking for fuel milage, stay away from AWD V8.

The Explorer Sport in your last post gets my vote. Im not sure about the V6 Explorer, but if your looking for fuel milage, stay away from AWD V8.

I have to disagree. My V8 AWD is getting 2-3 MPGs more than my V6 Sport did. You gotta think, that little 4.0 is struggling to move this huge vehicle, whereas the V8 moves it much easier, saving on fuel. (Not always revving as high, plus it has the power when you need it.)

(Along with a stronger drivetrain)

IMO, out of the white and burgandy Expo, I would choose the white one. The lid on the console can be replaced fairly cheap, and very easy, and the mileage is amazing.

Already looked at the burgundy one, it wasn't as good as he said and it sounded like there was an exhaust leak but only when in gear? Lol. Trans was replaced with a used one not rebuilt. The white one is what I really want. 4wd 5 speed. My girlfriends mother really doesn't want me to get a stick tho :/ but it's my car and i will get what i want. I'm still waiting on the vin # and mileage for the white one. I'm also looking at a 1998 that has 129k. Super clean. 4 door but 2wd. It looks supper sharp and has leather. But it doesn't have everything I want, and this white one looks super clean too.

Your in Cali, so im not sure about weather, but no truck or SUV I ever buy will not be a 4x4. Nothing beats it in snow (Automatic AWD), but I would go for the lesser miles truck if you can. And you gotta look at it this way, its YOUR vehicle. If they dont want theyre daughter in it for some odd reason just because its a stick, then THEY need to buy you something they feel is good for theyre standards.

Back