"Good Enough A4LD Rebuild" Companion Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Good Enough A4LD Rebuild" Companion Thread

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
If you want to discuss that thread,for now here is where you need to do it, later I will merge the two. I think keeping an instructional thread clean may be a good idea... maybe for now, maybe always.

Anyway feel free to comment here. What you want to see, what I am doing right or wrong, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could you show a side by side comparison of a new part, good enough part, and one that you would never consider reusing? To start, maybe show a few hard parts that usually have common problems, such as badly worn drums, bad thrust washers, weak welds on the OD planetaries, scratches, and nicks on the aluminum pistons that have springs on them (15, and 20 spring pistons), and servo piston seal rot/wear. You already mentioned some stuff that you would cover, such as the rear one way sprag, and drums with normal wear.

I'll try and keep that in mind. In some cses though, the difference may not be something that will show up in a photograph.

Another thing that you might want to show would be some upgrades like the 6 pinion OD planetary, and the Torrington bearings that replaced a lot of the thrust washers. They are usually recommended as an upgrade, but what about as a good enough rebuild, since these parts were known to have issues? Some thrust washers, such as in the rear sprag area are high wear areas for thrust washers. A low wear area (in my opinion) would be on the center support, but Ford also made Torrington bearings for that too. The new center support looks pretty nice with that big roller bearing on its bottom, but is usually used on the 4R/5R series. Does that still have those fragile seals like the A4LD? They are a little tricky to install. In the diary, you had a picture of it in your refrigerator to contract everything. This is a good idea that I didn't think of when I was doing a rebuild a while ago.

"Good enough" is not about upgrades. If you want upgrades see the Diary itself.

Back