• Register Today It's free!

Good gasket remover?

stubborn1

Reaction score
City, State
WISCONSIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 4wd XLT
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good gasket remover (besides elbow grease)? I need to remove my old water pump gasket and could use a tip on a good product.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the best gasket removers I have used as been non-flamible brake cleaner mfr by Castle. Stuff is amazing. After that, it is razor blade time. If the part can be remove from the truck, media blasting works well (check that the dust will not damage bearing, races, etc).

i usually scrap most of it off with a putty knife,

and then i take some sand paper and rub it down, that works for me

i guess if its really on there do what Steepcreeker said

Nothing beats a small die grinder with a scotchbrite pad...other than that break out the razorblade...

I always use Permatex Spray Gasket Remover and a Razor scraper on a screwdriver type handle I got at my local autoparts store, a Lisle I think. The Permatex is available at Autozone, Napa, etc and is a bit expensive but goes a long way, I used my can for 4 sets of head changes on 2.9L fords in rangers and BII's. I've tried brake and parts cleaner and it doesn't dissolve the old gaskets like the permatex does. I may do a final cleanup with a handheld wirebrush, preferably a steel one.

Back