Good mods for low-end power on 2002 Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Good mods for low-end power on 2002 Explorer?

spindlecone said:
You may be correct, I have four doors

You're an idiot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IAmTodd said:
You're an idiot.
Thats what my first wife said, and your 100% wrong about the 02 ECMs :D

You say "when needed"; when does anybody need to got 120mph?

spindlecone said:
Vik
Just to elude, to drive any suv at a high speed is insane, they are not road cars, have had my wifes M6 beemer up to 150, but that is what it is made for.
Have had my EX up to 124 MPH granted.
Call me stupid, but, the road ahead was clear, the weather was perfect, not a car to be seen in front or behind, my driver decided to go for it.
A tire blowout, a glitch in the road, we could have been dogmeat.Read on

Thank God the Ex was strapped to a Dyno :D

LOL, I really thought u had your ex up to 124 on the freeway lol. I was about to say u have some balls lol. As I mentioned earlier, I have had my Explorer up to 118mph a few times, and I didn't like the feeling of it after 110mph, I'm just glad it was a straight away. However, my 350z, I've had that thing up to 156mph when it was bone stock. However, that was on a track that goes in long oval circles, just like a Nascar track. That car felt amazingly stable at 156mph, it didn't feel much more different than going 90mph in it. Now with the Twin turbo in it and all, its max speed should be in the 190's, but I don't think I have the balls to take it that high, even on the track...

Back on topic, has anybody else heard anything about putting a 03-04 Cobra engine in a '02 Explorer, or am I the only one that has heard about it (a friend that owns a shop that builds up engines has told me, after measuring everything, that it is possible to put a 03-04 Cobra engine in the '02 Explorer)? Is there anybody that possibly has done this?

Also, are there any bolt on mods that would give a good gain, or are bolt on mods just a waste of money if your looking for MORE power?

And the final question, are there any companies that make a turbo for the Explorer?

So far, I guess the best bang for the buck mods, according to the replies here, are LSD and a SCT Flasher.

search Vik,good night

Interstate said:
You say "when needed"; when does anybody need to got 120mph?

I am a car enthusiast that's big on track events. I have my Nissan 350Z that I take to the track and depending on the tracks I often exceed speeds of 130mph. On some autocross tracks the highest I get to go is just around 100mph max. I also attend drag strips quiet often, and run the 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, and sometimes there are special events that have a 1/2 mile strip. In the quarter mile I get to speeds of about 110mph, and in the 1/2 mile I exceed 120+mph. Now, I'm planning on making my Explorer my next project car, after I'm finished modding the 350z, and make it a beast at the drag strip (I might not be able to do that with the Explorer engine, so I would throw in a 03-04 Cobra engine). There, depending on my time, I would get over 120mph if I run the 1/2 mile... I wouldn't want to max out on my speed before I reach the finish line, that wouldn't be a good idea. And yes, I know, I would have to do some work to be able to make the explorer stable at those speeds, but thats all part of the project.

Vik

IAmTodd said:
You're an idiot.
Just for grins TODD, you call a fellow site member an idiot, and the Mods let you get away with that B.S?
Would think a retraction of your comment is in order

*grins*

IAmTodd said:
Grins is all you can do, you have not the info to address the ECM question, nor admit that you are dead wrong,Which you are.
You want to call people idiots? do so.
But be prepared to prove your not the idiot, which in this case, you have proven to be so

Come on guys, can't we just be nice, get along, and get back on topic :D I'm sure I'm probably not the only one that can find this thread of good use. :thumbsup:

vik912 said:
Come on guys, can't we just be nice, get along, and get back on topic :D I'm sure I'm probably not the only one that can find this thread of good use. :thumbsup:
Is a very, good, educationtial thread, sans some members, calling members idiots, that serves no purpose

Im quite sure that the 03-04 cobra engine would fit, the problem comes with the $$, especially so if your going to have a shop do it. In which case you would have to be prepared to fork out around $5500. As for mods, headers, hi flow cat, catback exhaust, ported throttle body, hi flow MAS, performance spark plugs and wires, port and polish, and supercharger. You could also probably do a cam swap but it wouldnt do much good in a v6.

spindlecone said:
Is a very, good, educationtial thread, sans some members, calling members idiots, that serves no purpose

You're an idiot. And a ****** ;)

I highly doubt that an explorer will compete wtih cars even the least bit on terms of handleing; even if it's highly modified.

Turbo's have been thought of, but the plumbing would be complicated to say the least. The only thing I can think of is useing a remote turbo system, where the turbo is locate towards the rear of the exhaust system.

And BeauJ, notonly was that a little over the line, but I don't think spindle cleans things like that...

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this comes from a person that is very knowledgable of '02+ Explorers:

FXN Member said:
02+ PCM's cannot be chipped due to their lack of a rear dataport like the older EEC-V's had. Thye can only be reflashed. As of now the only reflasher available for the aftermarket consumer is the SCT Xcalibrator. Hope this helps.

Interstate said:
I highly doubt that an explorer will compete wtih cars even the least bit on terms of handleing; even if it's highly modified.

Turbo's have been thought of, but the plumbing would be complicated to say the least. The only thing I can think of is useing a remote turbo system, where the turbo is locate towards the rear of the exhaust system.

Yeah, I don't think that the ex will be able to compete in handling, thats why I'm only making it for the drag strip (straight line). The handling would only have to be improved so it could handle going 100+mph in a straight line for a few seconds without any problems.

About the turbo's, I have done a little research this morning and have found some Ranger's and Ex's that have been turboed, but all of the one's I found were the older models.

Vik

Back