Good Motor Oil

fordexplorerdude97

Reaction score
City, State
Newtown, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Hello

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil in my engine last time, but I would like to use regular oil since it just doesn't sound right to me to use oil for 10000 Miles and the waether is not cold right now. What is a good engine oil (non synthetic) to use for a 97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC?
Should I go with Castrol GTX, Valvoline Max life or pennzoil?

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Castrol Synthetic Blend...about half the cost of Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntech. I change it every 5,000 miles. No problems...it's all good.

Castrol GTX or the High Milage GTX is what I recommend. My parents have used only GTX since they bought theirs way back in 93. That things still runs like a top and when Ford did have to work on it (Valve cover oil leak) they said that they had never seen valves with that little sludge and buildup for the amount of miles it had on it. It also made my annoying lifter tick disappear:thumbsup: .

I use valvoline or quaker state, i'm not a huge fan of penzoil. BTW, stay away from the fram oil filters, they're a disaster waiting to happen.

Don't down grade your oil. Upgrade your filter. Add a dual bypass system and have your oil tested. You can save loads of money on oil changes and gas mileage. Plus, you can take it to your next car.

Back