• Register Today It's free!

Good Quality After Market Parts?

Brock94

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Last weekend I needed to replace the fan clutch and thermostat on my X, so I went to Autozone to get the parts and borrow the tools. There was no selection-- just one brand of each, so I bought them and took them home. When I got the old parts off and compared them, the old OEM parts, though broken after 108K miles, seemed to be built much better than the new parts I had just purchased.

One advantage to doing my own work is that it would really be worth it for me to spend a couple extra bucks and get better quality parts. Other than going to the Ford dealer, is there any place that sells high quality aftermarket parts?

How do you know what you're getting if you go to places like NAPA or CarQuest? They just sell their store brand and seem to service mostly the independent shops where the pressure would be to keep costs down rather than put in the best. (What customer would ever complain about the quality of their new thermostat or fan clutch?)

Do I have to go to the dealer and pay premium prices for OEM parts, or can I find truly equivalent or better quality in the aftermarket without the dealer premium?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A thermostat is a thermostat. A fan clutch is a fan clutch. Both the parts you got should be fine. Some parts are better bought OEM, but these 2 should be fine.

Nothing beats OEM

MONMIX said:
Nothing beats OEM
Some parts. I know Moog balljoints do, that's for sure.

I find that the smaller local chains in my area carry better parts. CAP is one that I use often. I think they are only in Massachusetts though. Autozone is good if your looking for cheap parts and more general things. Next time your looking for parts, call a few stores in your area. You can tell a lot about the store from the responses and the differences in what they carry for the same applications.

Whatever you do, if you want quality, avoid AutoZone. Go with Advance Auto, since you don't have O'Reilly Auto out by you on the east coast.

MONMIX said:
Nothing beats OEM

I can tell ya that OEM thermostats suck! I replaced two, one under warrenty and one I bought from dealer, in 2 years. Now I have a Stant and it's all fine and dandy.

AGREED...AGREED and AGREED!!! [QUOTE='96explorereddiebauer]I can tell ya that OEM thermostats suck! I replaced two, one under warrenty and one I bought from dealer, in 2 years. Now I have a Stant and it's all fine and dandy.[/QUOTE]

MONMIX said:
Nothing beats OEM
Okay except ball joints, t-stats, and paint.
( radios, tires,,,,,,,, )
:confused:

Go to a good regional chain. These shops tend to have name brand components in addition to their store brand. In NH we have Robbins and Sanel both have their store lines "Federated" and "Parts Plus" respectively but they do carry Raybestos for brakes and Spicer for suspension components - in this case Spicer is DANA's retail brand i.e. it is an OEM part minus the ford part #.

The national chains tend to carry parts designed to sell for a price. The regional chains tend to support the fleet users and the high end independent shops

Back