Good shock recommendations for lifted Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Good shock recommendations for lifted Explorer

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Hello,

I apologize for starting a new thread about this. This is one area that I really want to make sure I'm going with the best brand of shock here.

So within the next few weeks I will be lifting my 2WD Explorer w/ 2" TT, 3" Edge Spindles, AAL, Warrior Shackles, 33x12.50" BFG AT's on 15x8 rims

I need to get new shocks anyways, and I started doing some research and shopping around, but there is just so many different brands and models, and since I have no experience with shocks, I would like to get some opinions from the guys in-the-know.

- First off - does it matter what shocks I get whether the truck has the above mentioned lift or if it is factory stock? (no lift). I would like to actually get the shocks and install them before I lift it, thats why I ask.

- I would really like to stay under $75/shock. So no crazy reservoirs or anything haha.

- Simply put, I would like to get the best shock for the money with the type of lift I am going to do.

- Is the shock in the back the same as the front? Or do I need to order two separate kinds of shocks?

Logic says I should go with Bilstein or something competitive, but again - even if I knew which brand to go with, I sure don't know what the best models are.

Thank you in advance,
-Joe

Hello,

I apologize for starting a new thread about this. This is one area that I really want to make sure I'm going with the best brand of shock here.

So within the next few weeks I will be lifting my 2WD Explorer w/ 2" TT, 3" Edge Spindles, AAL, Warrior Shackles, 33x12.50" BFG AT's on 15x8 rims

I need to get new shocks anyways, and I started doing some research and shopping around, but there is just so many different brands and models, and since I have no experience with shocks, I would like to get some opinions from the guys in-the-know.

- First off - does it matter what shocks I get whether the truck has the above mentioned lift or if it is factory stock? (no lift). I would like to actually get the shocks and install them before I lift it, thats why I ask.

- I would really like to stay under $75/shock. So no crazy reservoirs or anything haha.

- Simply put, I would like to get the best shock for the money with the type of lift I am going to do.

- Is the shock in the back the same as the front? Or do I need to order two separate kinds of shocks?

Logic says I should go with Bilstein or something competitive, but again - even if I knew which brand to go with, I sure don't know what the best models are.

Thank you in advance,
-Joe

wow, I cant believe that I just now saw that there was an off-road subforum.

Mods, please move this.

Sorry all

Back