• Register Today It's free!

Good time to buy a J**p

The Godfather

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Daimler (the Chrysler is silent) seemed to over estimate the economy boom and now that it's slowing, has an over stock of inventory and a flood of vehicles coming off lease. They are actually projected to post a loss this quarter. Due to the large amount of returned lease vehicles, they will be forced to sell at a discounted price because of the slowing economy. It will inturn drive down the price of new DC vehicles. So that $38,000 J**p might be going for $33,000 in a couple months. Personally, I think the new J**p is better than a new Explorer, Ford seemed to cheapen them up a lot this time around. It's still to much for me but the lower price of them might sway a couple people. My parents who have owned Fords for 30 years are leaning toward a J**p instead of an Explorer. And with the poor overall quality of their Taurus, won't buy another one again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This hurts when I say it but, I like the new Jeep Grand Cherokee much better. My dad just bought my mom a 2000 Grand cherokee limited. Very sweet

Umm, let me chime in here. I've driven the new grand cherokee and I would take my sport over it any day. The jeep seemed to have quite a bit less torque and overall power than my sport. So unless the Explorer V8 is a dog I don't see how it would be worse. The jeep is more off road capable out of the box than the explorer but I don't see how ford has cheapened them up in any way.

dang, I just wish Ford would encourage off-highway use of their SUV's that Jeep does. You go to Jeep's main website and it has pictures from its monthly Jeep Jamborees around the nation, even pictures off modified Jeep Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's. I haven't had a chance to drive the newer Grand Cherokee's, but the older ones I found to be roomy enough for me (and that's pretty roomy!)

My 2 cents...

Lets not forget that J**p earned its reputation as an offroad vehicle in WWII (i think) as being a MAJOR supplier to the Army. So they will always be thought of first as an offroad vehicle. They will ALWAYS have that legacy. Where as no one will picture the Explorer as a true offroad vehicle, at least the way Ford likes to portray it. Its only through the exceptional efforts of the people on this board, that have modified their vehicles to withstand the rigors of off road use, that have swayed peoples opinion of the explorer.

Personally, I would never own a j**p of any flavor. Don't like em, don't trust em...

About a year ago, I was invited to a Jeep 101 day in Philadephia. I went and was totally blow away by the capability of all three models wearing the Jeep nametag. A fairly complex off-road course was built including some very steep climbs and descents, heavily banked turns and plenty of rocks and logs to drive over. The Jeeps blew me away. However, when I bought my Explorer a few months back, I went to take a Grand Cherokee on a test drive. I drove a 6 cylinder Laredo model and was disgusted to say the least. The interior is sparse and "plastic-ky" and the road handling sucks to say the least. My '01 Explorer Sport has a MUCH nicer interior and it rides a whole lot nicer. I have yet to venture off the pavement in my Explorer, but I am sure I will be impressed with its abilities.

On a side note, my brother is purchasing an '01 Nissan Pathfinder. He and I went to look at the Grand Cherokee and were shocked at how expensive the lease rates were. The Jeep with half the options of a fully loaded Pathfinder was close to $600/month while the pathfinder was around $470. Hell, for $600, I could easily lease a Mercedes M Class, Land Rover Discovery or Infiniti QX4. All three of these vehicles are a lot nicer (in my opinion) than the Jeep and the Land Rover could easily "one-up" the Jeep on any off-road course. Can't say the same for the M Class or the QX4! Just my 2 cents. Don't mean to trash the Jeep on the Explorer Forum!

I just drove my dad 2000 Cherokee Sport over thanksgiving. My folks got almost two feet of snow over night on this particular night, and my Exploder was in the shop having wheel bearings replaced. I drove the JEEP to town and have to say I was impressed. I love my Explorer, but the JEEP rode and handled better despite its straight axles(are you listening Ford, straight axles CAN ride great!). It was an absolute blast to drive, and the extra ground clearance it has over my Explorer really helped going through the snow. As for the power, again it was great, the 4.0L inline 6 has great power, I only have the 4.0L ohv V6 in my Explorer, it has pleanty of power to move it, but it pales in comparison to the JEEPs 6. Sorry to make it sound like I'm singing praise to the JEEP, but I have to respect a company that still uses straight axles! And right now I'm a little irritated at ford dealers and my Explorer. But my Explorer absolutely dwarfs the JEEP. I guess thats a good thing.

Originally posted by Tars
... But my Explorer absolutely dwarfs the JEEP. I guess thats a good thing.
The interior space was one of the key factors for me going with the Explorer and not the small Cherokee. But yes, I also did like it a lot.

My favorite still would be a streched Wrangler, specially now that the aparantely Ford dropped the Wrangler Fighter. If the Wrangler would be offered with at least 100 to 110 inches of wheelbase and a decent luggage compartment behind and not instead of the rear seats, I think the Ex-Ex-Defender or the Ex-Explorer would join my family.

donkey boy, you mean like the old CJ-8's (Scrambler) JEEP used to have. There is an idea, Ford could hit that area, no-one makes a vehicle like that right now, at least not a longer version of the Wrangler. Yeah right and why would Ford listen to me, I'm only a customer. Ha ha.

Actually, there is a company that makes extended wheelbase Wranglers. I can't remember the company's name, but they have 3 wheelbase lengths they can do the Wrangler in, and i think their website said they also do a sort of open-air Cherokee. It has been a long time since I found that site, so I don't remember much more in the way of the details.

I think Donkey Boy just found himself a new truck...;)

Dead Link Removed

Holy Cow!

Hmmmm! Is it very bad being a J**per?

Re: Holy Cow!

Originally posted by donkey boy
Hmmmm! Is it very bad being a J**per?
No. Just a little bad...I was this close to buying a Cherokee when my dad bought another Explorer, thereby allowing me to "inherit" his old one. I wouldn't mind having a Wrangler, esp. that 112" LWB one...

OK, you may now commence "flaming." May God have mercy on my soul, lol...

[Edited by FlyAU on 11-28-2000 at 12:09 PM]

I currently own a 98 jeep wrangler. While jeep may be great off road its not exactly the best thing to drive in your day to day life. I am right now hoping to sell mine so I can buy a 92 explorer I got a line on. One of the hard spots of earning a jeep is that no matter whats mods or hard tops you have you will always have bad road noise and you will FEEL the road. If you dont think its that bad the shock of day to day driving busted my new kenwood cd player in 3 months. So while you may think jeep has it over your fords, Im on the other side of the fence wanting some of the comfort and smoother driving of your plush explorers.

Originally posted by Hunter98
... no matter whats mods or hard tops you have you will always have bad road noise and you will FEEL the road...
That's what I'm missing in the Explorer :D I used to have a Suzuki Samurai some years (decades?) back as my daily driver, and actually, the Defenders were also not a whole lot more quiet. You knew what the wether and temperature was outside without even opening a window... But seriously. I do drive a lot of long distances, and, call me crazy, but I do miss that kind of driving experience.

BTW, welcome on board, Hunter98

Thanks for the welcome. Dont get me wrong, I like the jeeps off road ability. The explorer(i dont own one yet...) offers much more in terms of cargo space, family , and luxury. Since i have to choose i am going to pick the more all around explorer as soon as i can buy it.

Back