• Register Today It's free!

Good to be here, but need help.

Domo

Reaction score
City, State
Reigate
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4WD 4.0 SOHC
Hi everyone, be grateful for any help with the following, I have a 4.0 SOHC XLT 1996 4WD, I wisely hit a bollard with my left front wheel, width restriction and fairly solid, cracked my power steering rack and pinion assembly, its RIGHT HAND DRIVE and I'm struggling to get one quickly, happy to fit it, easy to work with these old beasts, it's my work truck and trusty, but need it working! Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks, Domo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My memory isn't the greatest but I don't recall anyone here from England, at least not that participates regularly and might know who has RHD rack & pinions there.

I checked Rockauto.com in the US (was my best guess who might have RHD version) and they don't carry one that's RHD in the regular listings for a '96 Explorer BUT I saw your other post in the introduction forum and you mentioned ACDelco 36R0224. Rockauto does have that part # but I've no idea what the shipping cost might be:

ACDELCO 36R0224 Rack and Pinion | RockAuto

My memory isn't the greatest but I don't recall anyone here from England, at least not that participates regularly and might know who has RHD rack & pinions there.

I checked Rockauto.com in the US (was my best guess who might have RHD version) and they don't carry one that's RHD in the regular listings for a '96 Explorer BUT I saw your other post in the introduction forum and you mentioned ACDelco 36R0224. Rockauto does have that part # but I've no idea what the shipping cost might be:

ACDELCO 36R0224 Rack and Pinion | RockAuto
Thanks for the reply, tried Rock auto, clicked to buy and it wasn't available! Have contacted 1st choice breakers website and someone is sending me the part in a couple of days, hope its right, and then have the joy of fitting it. Will be asking advice when it all goes horribly wrong. Thanks again, Domo.

A little off the subject, but in the states the SOHC 4.0L engine was not available until '97. Are you sure you don't have the 4.0L OHV engine? Not that it would matter as far as the rack is concerned.

A little off the subject, but in the states the SOHC 4.0L engine was not available until '97. Are you sure you don't have the 4.0L OHV engine? Not that it would matter as far as the rack is concerned.
Here's the thing, it's P reg, but on the document it says 1996. However, open the bonnet and there it is SOHC in big letters on the engine dust cover. So I suspect its a 97 and the DVLA are wrong. Thanks for the info.

Here's the thing, it's P reg, but on the document it says 1996. However, open the bonnet and there it is SOHC in big letters on the engine dust cover. So I suspect its a 97 and the DVLA are wrong. Thanks for the info.
Also I think it's Australian, if that makes a difference.

Most likely it’s a 97 model year manufactured in 96.

Back