Goodbye power antenna (and good riddance) | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Goodbye power antenna (and good riddance)

dustinjorge

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
I've been rolling around with this broken power antenna eyesore for years, and since I don't like power antennas anyway, I decided to replace it with a generic 3' black antenna.

attachment.php

I didn't feel like driving out the the junkyard, so I just figured I'd take a chance with one of these cheap universal mount ones. I chose this antenna from Autozone, I think it cost me $12 or so: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Metra-Antenna/_/N-8iigr?itemIdentifier=545534_0_0_

Popped off the trim bezel around the antenna.
Removed the nut on the power antenna at the top and pulled out the mast.
Removed the RF wheel/tire, pulled back the inner fender trim, removed the power antenna motor and bracket.

attachment.php

In order to get everything looking factory, I decided to use the stock plate to mount the new antenna to the fender... but I had to trim it up a bit to make it work. 10 minutes with the dremel and it fits just right.

attachment.php

I could have just gone to the store and bought a male/male coupler for the antenna cable, but I didn't really feel like going anywhere. So...

Cut the factory antenna cable and motor wires in the passenger floor.
Capped the motor leads and stashed them.
Ran the new cable through the grommet in the passenger floor.
Routed it up behind the glove compartment, removed the center dash bezel, and plugged it into the back of my nav unit.

Here's the result. Now I have the long one I always wanted.

attachment.php

Now if I ever feel the need to go stubby, I can pick one up from autozone for $8 and screw it right on.

Attachments

• antenna-done.jpg
    antenna-done.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,205
  • antenna-power-old.jpg
    antenna-power-old.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,745
  • antenna-removal.jpg
    antenna-removal.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,388
  • antenna-cutting.jpg
    antenna-cutting.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,331

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
I wish you would have posted this before I went to the junk yard on Thursday, I was having a hell of a time trying to get the non power antenna out, then I broke something, and gave up. Now, I know, thanks for the great pictures.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I've been rolling around with this broken power antenna eyesore for years, and since I don't like power antennas anyway, I decided to replace it with a generic 3' black antenna.

attachment.php

I didn't feel like driving out the the junkyard, so I just figured I'd take a chance with one of these cheap universal mount ones. I chose this antenna from Autozone, I think it cost me $12 or so: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Metra-Antenna/_/N-8iigr?itemIdentifier=545534_0_0_

Popped off the trim bezel around the antenna.
Removed the nut on the power antenna at the top and pulled out the mast.
Removed the RF wheel/tire, pulled back the inner fender trim, removed the power antenna motor and bracket.

attachment.php

In order to get everything looking factory, I decided to use the stock plate to mount the new antenna to the fender... but I had to trim it up a bit to make it work. 10 minutes with the dremel and it fits just right.

attachment.php

I could have just gone to the store and bought a male/male coupler for the antenna cable, but I didn't really feel like going anywhere. So...

Cut the factory antenna cable and motor wires in the passenger floor.
Capped the motor leads and stashed them.
Ran the new cable through the grommet in the passenger floor.
Routed it up behind the glove compartment, removed the center dash bezel, and plugged it into the back of my nav unit.

Here's the result. Now I have the long one I always wanted.

attachment.php

Now if I ever feel the need to go stubby, I can pick one up from autozone for $8 and screw it right on.

Would this be doable with the tire still on? The automatic car wash snapped my normal antenna recently, and I want to add a power antenna to my 2000 Xlt that doesn't have one. I hope the wiring is the hard part, not the removal and installation :)