Goodyear AT/S, RFA, or BFG Longtrails for road tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodyear AT/S, RFA, or BFG Longtrails for road tires?

What would be the best tire for a comfortable highway ride but good offroad traction for when I need it? We just got a new set of KO's and I like them alot, but I wont be doing much off-roading in them, so I want something that has good treadware and smooth ride but still good grip for when I do go offroad. Dad has 31" Longtrails on his pickup and they're really good, I like Goodyear tires, but I have been a longtime supporter of BFG too, so I cant decide for when I have to get new tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put a set of Long Trail 31's on my Explorer the other day. So far, I'm happy with them. I haven't tried them in the rain yet since we are in the middle of a drought here in Virginia(0.01 inches of precip in October). I just wish I had done the Long Trails for the recall. Stupid me had Firestone replace the tires and they put Tiger Paws on the thing. Those things looked like I was riding on doughnuts!

Tiger Paws? Never heard of those before. We would have got Goodyear AT/S or RF-A's but they were alot more expensive plus I wanted to see if anybody had the K/O's so we wound up having to pay about 50 bucks for a new set of rubber.

I witnessed a set of Longtrails offroad in sand and was very surprized by their performance. They have the top rating per Consumer Reports but I knew that was for mostly street use and looking at the tread I wouldn't have expected them to do much offroad.

However, on the Slabs Run some of us Texans went on last month, a Tahoe joined our group sporting a new set of BFG Longtrails. The area was a riverbed of white sand, very deep, like loose dry beach sand. A friend in a 2wd that followed me down only made it about fifteen yards before sinking up to his axles in the stuff.

That Tahoe kept its own with us for the entire weekend and had no problems struggling through that deep sand at all. I was very surprized and impressed with the performance of those tires. Had I not witnessed that, I would have suggested yeah Longtrails have the highest rating but that's for grocery getters. But I have to admit that a look at their tread does not tell the story of how well they perform on the trail. It doesn't make sense to me, but I SAW them work, and I was impressed.

Longtrails

Long trials are awesome! they are excellent on rain/snow and are a lot better then the stock tires. They give a quiet ride, but have the strangth needed for demanding towing applications.

I have a set of AT/S and on my old '98 I had them as well. I really like them for on road travel and they have a decent amount of off road traction for an AT type tire. I definately think that the AT/S is a good tire. No idea about the RFA or longtrail though.

:eek: Tigerpaws are a bottom of the line tire. Did they suggest them or did you ask? If they suggested them I would complain and try to get a better tire.

Yeah, the Longtrails on dads truck are awesome. They dont do too good in mud, I bet the Explorer could whoop him :D That mud and clay just packs right into those grooves and it makes the tire smooth. Then it dries a little and gets tacky, then it will fling the mud out unless we run through more water or mud. He drives on them about 360 days a year unless we take a vacation and stuff. He drives it all over the place, there hasnt been anywhere those tires wont take him. He tows alot and they're really good. He had a set of Wildcat Touring AT's or something like that on before, I think thats what were on when we bought it, and then he got the Longtrails and some cheap 25 dollar Gabriel shocks and it made an unbelievable difference.

Paul,

Firestone pretty much said "The Tiger Paws is what we have, so Tiger Paws is what you get." They were pretty much slapping on anything they could get their hands on. And the Ford dealer lied through his teeth about tire availability. Told me there was no problem getting them (told me to my face that he had the tires in stock), I scheduled an appointment, and when I get there he said I would be put on a list. I didn't have the spare cash to pay for tires upfront at the time so I let Firestone put the Uniroyals on. Oh well. I guess I'll put an ad in the paper for them. It shouldn't be any problem selling a set of 235/75-15's right now.

Originally posted by Okrazie1
Paul,

Firestone pretty much said "The Tiger Paws is what we have, so Tiger Paws is what you get."
I think that you should complain. What tire did you have originally? They should have replaced it with an equivalent tire. To me a Tiger Paw is a lower model tire than the ATX. Try talking to the manager if not, go higher.

ATS

I run ATS on my 92 and I absolutely love them. They are great in the snow and heavy water and have great traction off road. I think what I like best about them though is they look great and aren't very noisy. I have gotten 60K out of one set. Actually, if your in the VA area I have another set with about 15-20k left on them. 4 of them for $100 if you want them. I have them left over because I wanted to have a new set on before I came down to school. Email me.... Jeeden@vt.edu

I have a Tire and automotive shop and sell the wrangler At/s and absolutely swear by them. I have had no complaints from any of my customers as to noise and ride but beware there are P-metrics and LT versions of the 235/75/15 at/s and the LT's ride pretty harsh on most explorers. I wouldn't concern me but if anyone has a ex-wife like mine and have a strike against you for lifting the family truckster you might want to go with the p-metrics in that size. I see people with suburbans getting 60k miles out of these things and swear by them in the mud and snow.

Good luck...........Guff

I have a set and absolutely love em

As a matter of fact I am calling around to see what kind of prices I can get two new ones for...They are not the most expensive I have seen, but boy they are a bit more pricey than I thought! LTs run 170.00 and ATS P run 157.00, then ya got to get em installed! But..for the love of my truck, I will probably do it!

OK...now I am mad...I just called a different GOodyear dealer and they say they are backordered on the ATS AND they are discontinued...??? How can such a popular tire be discontinued?? Well...I guess I will have to go with the LT C-rating (6 ply) tire...ARGGGH!!

[Edited by Frisckey1 on 11-07-2000 at 11:35 AM]

I don't usually buy from the local dealers. Many of them seem so expensive. I get mine at http://www.tirerack.com and have always been satisfied. The last set I ordered from them arrived the next morning at 10 am and that was with standard shipping!!

Hey Cool...

Thanks for the link. I see the LTs but no ATS :( Oh well...they will do! Price is alot cheaper too! Even with shipping they are 45.00 cheaper a tire! Wow...too cool.

Back