Goodyear military tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodyear military tires?

I saw an new lifted F-150 at the beach today that was sporting 36X12.5X16.5 Wrangler RT-II Military OZ tires. What's up with these? They had a very cool looking tread, and they looked to be brand-spankin new, so they can't be mil-surplus.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a 16.5 could be that it was made to fit a militarty humvee.... they use 16.5s and dual beadlocks

I'm really wondering about the availability of these. As in how this guy got brand new military tires, or if they are somehow for sale to the public.

maybe his truck was a test truck for goodyear.....

maybe he is an officer in the military. they can get away with a few more things then enlisted men

I would agree and since you are right there next to Camp Pendleton, that is probably where they came from. You should have asked to see under the hood, $100 says he had an Optima, too.

a 16.5 could be that it was made to fit a militarty humvee.... they use 16.5s and dual beadlocks

I don't think that is true. I think humvees have 17 inch steel rims with re-inflatable tires so they can't get shot out. I believe you can buy military grade tires as well, you probably just have to order them specially and they cost you an arm, leg, 4 fingers on your right hand, and sometimes your soul to pay for.

They are 16.5's. The old Cut-V's used 16" rims, but HMMMV's have 16.5. And the air pressure is adjustable for sand, but they most definiately can be shot out.

Oh man, well the damn Learning Channel lies then. They need to get their facts straight before they tell the public what a humvee is made of. Thanks for the corrections addkev.

I love watching on TLC when they show HMMMV's and the big 5 ton trucks they make them look so awesome. The last new HMMMV the Marine Corps bought was in 1993, they just keep sending to get reworked (rebuild engine, tranny, and new paint). Our Hummers suck! They are wore out and tired. Supposedly, we are getting new ones, but we haven't seen them yet.

HMMMV Facts

MK-48 Facts

i learned that hummer tid bit about the military ones from CoryL he is using a variation of them on his monster....... anyway, the tires can be shot out, but they have a solid rubber donut inside of the regular tires capable of slow speeds for awhile... enough speed to escape should one tire get blown out or something...... a stripped down military humvee weighs in at around 7800 # :eek:

Originally posted by jimabena74
the tires can be shot out, but they have a solid rubber donut inside of the regular tires capable of slow speeds for awhile

A solid magneisum ring is also used.
For a quick guide to hummer wheels and other stuff this is a good place: PBB Hummer wheel thread

Back