Goodyear or BFG | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodyear or BFG

Was going to buy tires in the next few days foy my X, but thought I would come to yall for advice first. I know I want 31x10.5. The two tires I have my mind set on are BFG Mud Terrains, or Goodyear MT/R, the only problem is I not sure which is better. By better I mean Ride Quality on and offroad, Tread Wear, Handling in Snow, ect so if yall can give me your great advice that would be great.

Thanks, Derek

I have both, 31x10.5 MTRs on my Ranger (40k) and 33x12.5 KMs on my Explorer(8k). They are both great tires. IMO, KMs are a little quieter on the highway. MTRs are better on rock and gravel. KMs a little better in mud. MTRs a little better in sand and thin snow.

4-Wheel and Offroad did a mud tire comparison in the latest issue. The KM did slightly better.

I was in 'Vegas sitting at the stop light, and this guy in a Toyota truck came past me, and you could hear the WRRRRR! sound from the BFG MTs. They can be a loud tire on the pavement after time. How do yours look after 40K miles? Is there much tread left?

-Ken

At 40K there is at least 1/8-inch above the wear bars (I have not measured them). I am expecting to get at least 50K on them. If you do not keep mud tires rotated and balenced they will all make a loud noise.

Back