Goodyear or BFG | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodyear or BFG

I know I want 31/10.5/15's, and the BFG Mud Terrain or the Goodyear MT/R. The only problem is I dont know much about either, if anyone has any info about Tread Wear,Ride Quality, ect. please post your knowledge here.

Thanks, Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stupid question: do you really need a mud tire? A general rule of thumb is the more aggressive the tire the worse it is on the street. If you rarely go offroad, an all-terrain or the ProComp XTerrain (a mix of the 2) may be better. I ran BFG ATs and The PC XTs and the XTs were much better in mud than the ATs, almost as good as MTs but much better on the street than MTs.

I have both. They seem prety comparbe to me. I put BFG on my X because they were cheaper $145 vs $170. I really liked the MTRs, very durable, I will likely get over 50,000-miles on them. Ther is a mud test in this months 4-wheel and offroad comparing them. They liked the BFG a little better.

from what i have heard and seen (i work in the tire industry) the mtrs arent that good.. in any condition, all the people i have talked to like rick and tdavis say they pretty much sucked... the bfgs are soft, and dont last as long as a car tire, but i havent heard any real dislikes for them..... also if you are planning street use, the bfg at is great....

I love my BFG ATs. From what you are saying, it seems you don't really need MTs but I may be wrong. My ATs do awesome in the snow, rain, and the mud I have been in so far. If you aren't doing anything real serious they are good. I know a lot of people reccomend the Dueler ATs. Another tire you may want to check out is the Cooper Discoverer ST.

also tread wear and ride comfort are basically going to suck with any mud terrain type tire for the most part....

everyone i know w/ MT/R's love em, some BFG owners have complaints...theres my .02$

Thanks alot all for your great advice.

Back