Got a good one lets see if someone is smart enough to get this one. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a good one lets see if someone is smart enough to get this one.

99explfreak

Reaction score
City, State
ypsilanti mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer 4x4
Hello i have a 99 explorer 4x4 with a 4.0 ohv engine in it. I recently pulled the motor because the head gasket blew on it so i figure while im in there might as well pull it and put new oil pump in it to. Well everything went great all the way up to putting the motor back in the truck. Ok heres what happened, I first put the motor in with a buddy of mine and being alitle to fast we forgot to line up the torque converter bolts with the holes well i knew i messed something up at that point but i took it back out checked it all out and it seemed fine. So i put the motor back in got all the bellhousing bolts put back in , and then i went to turn the motor over byt the crankchaft bolt and the motor would not turn at all. Ok now after about 15 times of pulling it in and out i finally came across what i thought was my problem i pulled the torque convter off and found that the input shaft and wedged itself into the inside of the toque converter i could not get it out so i bought brand new torque converter and input shaft, also have a new flywheel on there thinking that might have been it but no. Now before you ask when i put the torque converter on there i have it on all the way for sure 100% and it spins freely no problem and before i put the motor up to it i can turn the motor over no problem but as soon as you put them together and tight the housing bolts up bam you cant spin it at all but if i back out a couple of the bolts just alittle it will spin almost like its to tight. my question is first has anyone ever heard of this, and number 2 im wondering if there are supposed to be spacers between the trans and engine? or does anyone know am i doing something wrong here i mean im not a ase certified mechanic or anything and dont claim to be but i do know my stuff ive just never heard of this or seen this im in serious need of help please someone. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If everything spins until it's bolted up, then there is a problem with the fit of the converter. Take the converter out of the trans and see if the hub fits on the back of the crankshaft. I suspect that is the problem. I also believe there may be some sort of spacer involved back there. I've not had to fool around with the OHV flywheel/trans, so maybe someone else can help you too. But I believe there is something there that needs to be addressed. The converter hub must slip into the crank/spacer.

Next, when the engine is bolted to the trans, and the converter bolts are through the flywheel, is the converter tight against the flywheel or pushed back into the trans a bit? I am assuming here that the converter is not loose like it normally would be at this point until the converter nuts were installed. If the converter is jammed up against the flywheel, then it's a safe bet the converter is not installed into the pump all the way. You may swear up and down it is, but it isn't. If the converter is jammed BACK away from the face of the flywheel, then it's more than likely a hub fitment issue.

the converter should pull forward tot he flexplate about 3/8" after the bellhousing is tight and you begin to install the first of the 4 converter nuts through the starter hole.

Like Cobra said if it is wedged against the flexplate you have an issue
You must have the correct spacer on the back of the OHV with the correct flexplate as well, my guess is you screwed something up in the pump drive of your trans the first time you smashed it together.

The converter must be FULLY seated on the pump drive before stabbing to the trans and you MUST line up the converter to flexplate before stabbing 100%

Ouch!

let us know what you find, been there done that! Luckily I had no damage, I simply backed out the trans and tried again...

thanks guys for the reply i am gonna try to pull the motor back out tonight and check again to make sure the converter is on all the way because it is tight up against the flywheel there is no play in it at all. ill also try putting the converter up against the flywheel and check that ill let you know what happens thanks again. in the mean time can u possibly think of anything else if so let me know.

sorry i didnt hae time to get to it last night but got to it tonight and you were right along with everyone else lol the torque converter wasnt on all the way it had about a quater inch more to go in and it went great after i got that got the motor about half way done now thanks again guys.

Back