Got a "Insufficient EGR Flow" Code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a "Insufficient EGR Flow" Code

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
Got a "Insufficient EGR Flow" Code, now a P0171

I got a 97 XLT 4.0 OHV and got this code half way home on a 1,000 mile trip. I checked the EGR valve and it opens very freely. The vac lines all look good and the tube going into the intake is clear. Should I replace the solenoid or the Senser on the side of the intake or is there another trick to check on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced all the sensors and even went as far as changing out the lines... I also made sure that they had gaskets...

securedownload.jpg

I changed that sensor...

yyyy.jpg

I also changed the two sensors pictured here...... the top one has a ruber o-ring that is made into the housing on the intake.. its suppose to keep it from having a leak... I added the gasket that came in the box it was my main issue...

Ok so I replaced the sensor and the selenoid for the egr system. Not only did the cel come back but it idles like I have a rediculous cam in it now. Im thinking the egr valve might be moving a little too freely, my father-in-law suggested I pull the egr tube off and clean it out real good. Any ideas?

Replace it?

Im thinking about just replacing it because that would be the last (?) component to the puzzle, but my wife is getting a little agrivated that I keep throwing parts at this thing

ok... Now I am getting a P0171 code and my idel is rough. I have the new EGR Parts, EGR valve is working. All of the intake gaskets have been replaced. New O2 Sensors, new plugs and wires as of 1,000 or so miles ago... Im thinking about just pulling the cel bulb out of the dash now haha

Back