Got a little ahead of myself with 02' eddie bauer edition stereo wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a little ahead of myself with 02' eddie bauer edition stereo wiring

jzclark3988

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
O2' Explorer Eddie Bauer
:salute: so I got this 02' explorer (EBD) and have been trying to replace and repair things on my own as much as possible. I do not have a lot of knowledge of vehicale mechanics but I am better than average and I have been trying to use my vehicle to learn more about vehicle maintenance.

I recently bought a Raptor wiring adapter and Rapter Deck harness for my vehicle and replace the old stereo with an aftermarket stereo I pulled out of my previous vehicle . I got the stereo out and hooked up the wiring adapter to the new stereo's wiring. I then came to realize that the Eddie bauer edition has totally different ports than the base model explorers and so the wiring harness i paid for and already cut up is useless:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:.
I went to an auto parts store to look at Chilton: Ford explorer Manual and found that it only have the wiring diagrams for the base models (Not Sport, Sport Trac, or Eddie Bauer). PLEASE HELP!!!! If anyone has the wiring diagram to an 02' Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition and/or has done it themselves and could give me a quick step-by-step I would greatly appreciate it.

James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need the metra 70-5519 thats the one i used in my EB 04...

see thats the thing. I got ahead of myself and cut off the original stereo plugs off the wiring and tries to wire it manually because the adapter i bought from O'reilly wasn't the correct one. Am i ####ed? Do I need to bight the bullet and pay the ford dealership to put on new plugs on the wires?

Standby, Ill help yea out here. Let me get the photo's uploaded.

thank you. Becaue this project which i though would save me money to do myself is quickly turning into something that is going to cost me more money than if I had just bought a new aftermarket stereo and paid to have it installed

Here yea go bud. 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer Audiophile Wiring and connector views

2004_Ex_EB_Audiophile_11.gif

2004_Ex_EB_Audiophile_21.gif

2004_Ex_EB_Audiophile_31.gif

2004_Ex_EB_Audiophile_41.gif

2004_Ex_EB_Audiophile_51.gif

2004_Ex_EB_Audiophile_61.gif

2004_Ex_EB_Audiophile_71.gif

So am i able to directly connect the vehicle wiring to the original radio wiring or?....

So am i able to directly connect the vehicle wiring to the original radio wiring or?....

Well, perhaps it would help if you clarified what you were wanting to do. You indicated you cut off the factory connectors (C290a, C290b, and C290c in the above diagrams). Are you wanting to:

A) re-attach the factory connectors

or

B) leave the factory connectors off and ssplice in an aftermarket harness to the factory wiring in the dash?

Crap, I just realized you had an 02, not an 04. I uploaded the wrong diagrams. Standby, let me correct that. And what is the build date of your vehicle, as that will determine what diagram i need to pull. The build date should be indicated on your door sticker (Ex, 04/02)

It was built 10/01.

I contacted my dealership to see what it could cost to replace the factory plugs and if that isnt too expensive I will just pay for that and buy the proper adapter. That is the plan for now if its not too expensive

Ok bud, but if you have the connectors still, its not difficult at all to solder and heat shrink them back on. I can tell you the dealer is going to charge you around 3-5 hours labor for that, at around 100 buck an hour..this is something you can repair yourself. Just match up all the wire colors and solder/heat shrink them back together

mine is an 02' that was built 10/01 so would it use the same adapter as the 04'(metra 70-5519

this just keeps getting worse gentlemen. I would love to reattach the wires to the original plugs but i destroyed two of the three trying to get them off so i could have as much wire as possible to work with. I guess ill have to order the plugs myself and then reattach them.

unless its doable to attach the aftermarket stereo straight to the factory wiring

it's not the cleanest install, but yes, you can solder/heat shrink the aftermarket wiring to the factory wiring.

and did you see whether or not the 04' diagram is the same as my 02'?

I'm not at work right now, but when I get a chance, ill upload the correct diagrams for yea. Everything should be fairly the same, maybe only a couple little differences

Could I still get that 02' diagram?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back