• Register Today It's free!

Got a new one

intheric

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4WD
Ok. Been working a whole lot and haven’t had time for anything else except a few hours to do some work.

Decided to take the truck out for its 7 min drive around the block. Started ok. Still wonky idle. Drove around and everything was ok. Bit hesitant here and there. Now I’ve noticed the ABS light is on. No time for that now. Did a break check. It’s fine

pulled back in to the drive way and put it in park. It did it’s thing where it sputtered and all that. Turned it off just so I’m not doing anymore harm to it if I already am.

plugged in the code reader and get a new one today. P1121. Not sure how this ties into the other codes

I still plan on changing the other O2 sensors and looking at the fuses. Anyone have a recommendation on a good fuse checking tool. The easier the better lol. I have no problems changing stuff out to new and get some preventative maintence done.

buddy of mine said to check the MAF sensor. I did. It’s there. Looks clean and all that lol. Shiny in the sun light and an absence of any kind of gunk.

thanks again!

Attachments

• BEFD345A-7920-4C93-BDAC-7F092B053B0E.png
    BEFD345A-7920-4C93-BDAC-7F092B053B0E.png
    90 KB · Views: 89
  • A88380CF-B4D4-4055-9FDF-D8A0B67304A6.jpeg
    A88380CF-B4D4-4055-9FDF-D8A0B67304A6.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 73

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next I think that I would use a DVOM on the TPS and check the range on it to rule out any problems with it. I'm still new at all of this ECM controlled stuff though and someone with more experience might have a better idea.

Also, check fuel pressure between (60-65 idle); if less change the fuel filter, if still bad change fuel pump. Clean the IAC (Idle Air Control) and check plugs. TPS sensor is relatively cheap, but its basically a potentiometer. A 5 volt reference is sent through it and whatever the difference is between what is input and what the computer receives tells the computer where the throttle is. Here is how to test: How to: - Ford Explorer - Ranger TPS Test Procedure

In my experience, the MAF is rarely the issue, don't know why people constantly think it is.

A dirty MAS CAN cause a slight miss, long crank at start, and high idle. I have seen that more then a few times over the years
Clean air filter and sealed airbox is how you avoid that

It's just never been an issue for me, but I may be the .001%. ;)

Next I think that I would use a DVOM on the TPS and check the range on it to rule out any problems with it. I'm still new at all of this ECM controlled stuff though and someone with more experience might have a better idea.
To do this, back-probe the electrical connector to the TPS with straight pins. Even a Haynes manual will show you where and how. Three wires if I remember correctly, one is reference voltage, read the signal output on the others. You will be looking for a smooth sweep from ROUGHLY 1VDC rising to 5VDC, as you open the throttle, KOEO. Old analog meters are great for this particular test, as you get a visual.
Also, don't forget to simply clean and check the connections first. Simplest thing first, my brother is still trying to teach me that!

Also, check fuel pressure between (60-65 idle); if less change the fuel filter, if still bad change fuel pump. Clean the IAC (Idle Air Control) and check plugs. TPS sensor is relatively cheap, but its basically a potentiometer. A 5 volt reference is sent through it and whatever the difference is between what is input and what the computer receives tells the computer where the throttle is. Here is how to test: How to: - Ford Explorer - Ranger TPS Test Procedure

In my experience, the MAF is rarely the issue, don't know why people constantly think it is.
I had a full tune up so the plugs are new and I bought a new idle air control valve.

Thanks for the info. I’ll look at that this evening. Since it’s now pouring rain I’ll have some time to read.

Back