• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Got a New Puppy!

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Ranger Danger is getting bigger by the day. He is filling out so nicely. I forgot how fast the big dogs grow from puppy to adult. He lost one of his lower K9 teeth yesterday and you can see the permanent tooth pushing through. I bought a industrial size bag of chewies for him at Costco and he has them all over the house and yard. Keeps him from getting into other stuff like plants, shoes, socks, water bottles (he seems to have a affinity for water bottles).

He is also rapidly learning what is acceptable behavior in his new home. He sits, stops, walks very well on a leash although he doesn't seem to be a big fan of walks. He is starting to come when called nearly all the time. He is allowed to roam the house and yard as he sees fit. He is much more independent than our last dog, doesn't mind hanging out in the yard by himself, goes downstairs when no one is there, etc. We are working on him jumping into the backseat of vehicles this week. He has no problem getting into the Silverado but it has a fold-up rear seat so its like him stepping up 2'. He can climb up the 4' walls in the backyard, so it will just take a little time to get him to figure out the mechanics of the jump. He is also not a food thief, which is so strange for a puppy. He is not very interested in people food and seems to prefer his ever full bowl of puppy food.

He only woke me up one time last night, and that was just to get some attention. When I opened the door to let him outside, he wasn't interested.

On a walk yesterday, he is very interested in other people, dogs, squirrels, birds, a leaf floating by, etc.. A few hours after his second bath. I rigged up a way to get warm water outside for his bath, but he still didn't like it. I think someone used to spray him with a hose. You can see how much he has filled out recently.
20210223_170404.jpg

Ranger Danger also had his first vet appointment from my vet to check him out. They have this contactless appointment thing going so they come out to the car and take the dog inside. Vet called me laughing saying I got a good one. Ranger was perfectly at ease and trying to play with everyone in the office. Vet said he has near perfect confirmation, and warned me he was going to be about 90 pounds. I mentioned to him how he runs like a cheetah and I was thinking getting him into some type of agility training when he gets older. Vet said that maybe I should not show him what he is capable of, and just keep him as a big happy, goofy dog.

I need to figure out how to teach him to bark at the doorbell for starters...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
I have a shepherd and possibly greyhound mix. I say that cause she's got floppy ears, and the dog can RUN. She's also a couch potato, and won't much listen to a darn thing you say. She also doesn't give up trying to catch the squirrels, no matter how many times they run up the tree.

In any case, this dog goes absolutely ballistic if you try to give her a bath. People have said that she was probably abused, but I'm not sure I buy that. I think she just hates water. Once you let her go, it's like nothing ever happened (other than the scratches your have all over from her trying to climb you). I think it's worse than trying to bathe a cat, honestly.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I laughed at the last line.

Ranger doesn't like baths, but will go out in the rain or play in the water when the Hunters are watering the upper bank in the backyard. I had to clean off a portion of concrete in the backyard today because he decided his sensibilities were offended by a plant and ripped it out of the ground, making a mess in the process. He kept trying to play in the hose spray, so its not the water. He loves it when I towel him off after, its total play time. I actually can't wait to get him out to Fiesta Island where they have a huge dog park on the bay to see if he likes the ocean, but he is not ready to be off leash in that open of a area (maybe I am not ready to trust him to come back).

He absolutely hates to be tied up on a short leash because he freaks. He is fine on a long lead that I have in the garage so he can get to the driveway, the grass and a planter in the front.

He also seems kind of lazy for a puppy, but that could end up being a good thing. Sleeps a lot, then plays, repeat, but sleeps a lot more than he plays.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Some dogs just hate water. Just check the YouTube videos.😆

Most Shepard's I have known have been very mellow. Excellent companion dogs. When we found Indy there was zero drama introducing her to the two dogs and two cats we had in the house at the time.

Maybe you could borrow a friend's dog that barks at doorbells to help Ranger get the hang of it.

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Yeah, rain no issue, but water out of a tap, BAD. 🤣 My first shepherd wouldn't put a toe in a puddle. Was at the lake with him one time and this lady had her shepherd there, throwing a ball in the water for it to go fetch. "Ummm, how the heck did you do that?!" "I don't know, he just loves water!" Not mine, though he WOULD stand there and let me give him a bath, no problem. Not this one! She'll did up every darn plant in the yard though!

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Great dog there, Ranger is beautiful, and just puppy still. I love animals and they are a lot of work to teach etc.

Have a blast with Ranger for a bunch of years, I'm sure he is teaching you a few things also.

If you want him to bark at the doorbell, you just bark yourself, gently/softly a few times when it dings, when he can see/hear you. They'll learn to bark and go to the door too. I like a mild bark, not a loud and angry sound, for alerts from the dogs.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Ranger Danger had a eventful day today. He went to the ranch to watch my daughter have a dressage lesson, and met the ranch dogs. He is still shy around new dogs, and had obviously never seen a horse before.
20210227_134220.jpg

20210227_134237.jpg

After that, daughter and I went to a local dog park with her two old dogs and Ranger. Dog park had a bunch of young dogs and large breed puppies there so perfect scenario. He was shy at first, then figured out how much fun he could have playing. He really likes people and went to say high to everyone. I called him over to me several times and he came almost every time. He is learning so fast. He ran himself into exhaustion, and went to sleep the minute we got home.
20210227_160754.jpg

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Ranger was probably thinking that horse was the biggest dog he'd ever seen.

He's sure a good looking pup:chug:

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
At least he's showing signs of recall. The houligan (Catahoula Leopard) we have just gives you the stink eye. The independent drive in them is insane at times.

And when we used to take her to the dog park (before her CCL joint injury) she would steal the ball from other dogs, and play 'look what I have' with them. Even if I brought her own ball. She didn't want her ball, she wanted the other dog's ball. No more dog park for her now..

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
This week I am going to work on teaching him to jump into the back seat of the Explorer. He can easily jump up the 4' walls in the backyard so I know he can do it, but he doesn't know he can do it.

I get compliments every time I take him anywhere.

He's a little weird about a leash. I live in a track home and have a long lead that I use for dogs in the front yard. It allows them to roam into the garage, the grass, the planter and to about 5' from the end of the driveway. He can get about 5' from the front door. I was working on the door latches this morning and whenever I would close the front door, he would start whinebarking. Open the door, there he is, close the door, whinebarking. I can leave him on that lead and walk through the door from the garage to the house, or the door into the back yard no problem. The only reaction I get from him is he sometimes will move from the driveway into the garage. He can spend hours in the backyard by himself. Goofy dog.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I made a training lead for Ranger after ordering a retractable one. When it arrived, I noticed its quite heavy and not something I would want to carry around. I went to my local go-to hardware store, picked up 50' of 3/8 nylon rope, and a clip. I use 1/2" ID copper pipe for ferrules. I cut the rope to length with my heat cutter, then feed the rope into the ferrule, add some 5 minute epoxy and crush the ferrule, adding a little indent between the rope for looks. One for the handle, one for the clip. I have made them before and they last forever. This time I made a 12' lead and a 37'-ish lead as you loose a little length with the handles.

Then, I worked on getting him into the Explorer. I had him jump into the Silverado with the seat up about five times, then put the seat down and he eventually figured that out. I tried to get him into the Explorer. He got his big front feet up on the door jam, and then would give up. I ended up picking him up and putting him on the seat. There is no way I will be doing that in a few months when he gains 30 pounds. I let him smell around and get familiar with his off-road vehicle, then closed him in there for a while while I finished up the leads. He eventually made himself comfortable.
20210301_153858.jpg

I opened the door to this. You can see this is one of my early version home made leashes where I used a cable ferrule before I figured out that copper pipe works just as well and is a fraction of the cost.
20210301_154041.jpg

I tried to coax him out. He would act like he was going to jump, then stop and lie down on the seat. Did this several times. I tried his treats, with the same result. I tried leaving him in there for a while with the lights off, and he started whining. When I went back, he came real close to making the leap. Then I got a couple small pieces of chicken, gave him one, and tossed the other on the garage floor. He really wanted to jump out, but no dice. I got his leash and brought him to the edge of the seat, but was not going to force him. He somehow got his front paws onto the floor board, then jumped out. Success, and enough for today.
Ranger eyeing me suspiciously
20210301_154243.jpg

Almost (I don't know why my phone does this with pictures sometimes)
20210301_160321.jpg

sandsprayer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kent WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Maybe you could borrow a friend's dog that barks at doorbells to help Ranger get the hang of it.
Dogs learn from each other so fast. When I got a Shepherd for the wife, it only took about 2 hours of watching me and my dog before he was going mad a** @ the bite sleeve.
@BKennedy , do you know if the Brindle in the dog park picture is a Plott Hound?
I got a foster from Texas to rehab on Friday, and his coloring is a little different, but the body is almost a copy.
You are gonna have a great dog......

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
He said it was some kind of hound I have never heard of before and that he got it from Mass. Has Cane Corso coloring. Nice friendly dog.

We went for our first drive in the Explorer today. Were planning on going up through Black Mountain Truck Trail to Santa Ysabel and then back home on SR-78. Got up to where the dirt trail splits (about 2-3 miles up) and I smelled something nasty. Pulled over and Ranger had puked and pooped on the backseat. It was mostly on his blanket, but he got himself too, so it put a damper on the day. Luckily I have some plastic garbage bags, old towels, extra water and wet wipes in the Explorer. I cleaned up the seat on the spot, then tossed a moving blanket I leave in the back in case I need to crawl under for some reason on the seat in case we had a repeat performance. Sealed the blanket up in a garbage bag. I wiped down what I could on him, had lunch, let him relax for a while, then got him back into the Explorer for the drive home. He drools a little while in the car, so I think there has to be a bunch of shorter car rides and some slow off-road treks before he eats to allow his body to adjust. Our Rotti got car sick when he was young, and he turned out to be a heck of a off-roader dog. Ranger jumped down from the back seat when we got home, so at least he figured that part out. He gets his big paws up on the rock sliders, but hasn't figured out how to jump in yet so I toss him in the rest of the way. He doesn't mind being picked up, but in a few months that's not going to work for me anymore.

Gave him his third bath, which he hates. Need to rig up some type of cross tie like they use for horses so he quits struggling and help save my shoulder. For him to be a inside dog that is adventurous, he needs to tolerate baths.

He is starting to bark at things. He has the makings of a pretty deep mean bark. I told the neighbors to talk to him when he barks at them, and he will eventually stop barking at them all together. Barks when someone drops something at the door, but not at the door bell. He will figure it out.

bterfift

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Took Ranger on a road trip in the RV, with some off-road trips in the Explorer. He jumps in and out of the Explorer with ease now. He seems to be tolerating the long RV treks, sleeps most of the time. If I don't feed him breakfast he doesn't get car sick in the Explorer anymore. He has gained more weight, and sometimes I wake up and it seems like he got bigger overnight. We are still out camping, should be home towards the end of the week.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
That's excellent news, he's settling into your life.