Got a New Puppy! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Got a New Puppy!

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Meet our new puppy. We are using the name the shelter gave him, Chester for now. It actually fits him. I have been calling him "The Dude", but the wife is not pleased with that. Might name him Titus after the Roman emperor and military leader. He is a 5 month old stray, and is 50 pounds of clumsy energy. I think he is going to be a big boy. I need to watch him every second as he is getting into everything, but I expected that for a few months. Based upon his color, body/head shape and size, he is a German / Anatolian Shepard mix.

Things I have found out so far; He is housebroken, but I don’t know think he has ever spent the night in a house. It might just be that he has always gone in the dirt. He has taken to following me everywhere, which is what I was hoping for. He goes between sleeping and playing. I don’t think he has ever been on a leash, or at least had any type of leash training. He is very sweet and friendly. He is very watchful of other people. He sits on command. He doesn’t care if it’s raining outside or if he’s wet, but baths are a completely new experience for him, and he has never been toweled dry before. He also explores everything nose first, so we have moved breakables off the lower tables. He loves chasing tennis balls, and sort of brings them back. He walks, not jumps, but walks, up the 4” tall terrace walls in our backyard. There is no way I could leave him alone in the backyard when he learns he can jump the 7’ fences, which I think he would have no problem doing in a few months. He loves being outside. He knows what "NO" means, and mostly listens. I will have my hands full, but needed a new project anyways.

View attachment 327479

View attachment 327477

View attachment 327478
Beautiful dog! And very large!!! If I had a dog, would want one that handsome!

<

sandsprayer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kent WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin
He's a good looking dog and still has a lot of filling out to do.
Shepherds generally start filling out between 18 and 24 months, he's #82 now, I'm willing to bet he'll get to #92!
With him pulling the rope you have a big 1st. step at getting him onto a bite sleeve or suit

<

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The vet said he should be good for another 10 or so pounds. He loves playing tug and ball. He has started bringing back two balls lately, throw them both, he brings them both back.

I ordered a ecollar and use book off Amazon today. I was talking to one of my neighbors who has a Rottweiler puppy and he is currently training him with one. He loves it because he hardly ever has to use the shock function to get his attention. He also got him to stop destroying the backyard by keeping an eye on the dog while he is in the backyard and giving him a jolt when he was doing something destructive. says it worked in a few days. Ranger is smart for a dog and wants to be good, so he should learn quickly.

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Any puppy updates?

<

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Couple of pics of Ranger Danger.

20210627_131455.jpg

Took this today, not sure what he was doing but it looks like he is having fun
20210711_094710.jpg

He keeps getting bigger, probably over 90 pounds now. I have been working with him a lot and he is starting to listen and follow me around outside when off-leash. Yesterday he was going for a truck ride and I was at the back door of the Silverado putting the seat up and getting it ready while he was standing behind me waiting. A dog he has played with before in the neighborhood was being walked by across the street and he just stood waiting for me to let him into the truck. Good boy!

I have been working with a e-collar and he responds to the vibration mode more than the electrical stimulation, which he ignores unless he gets a good blast. He walks a lot better on-leash, sits, shakes. Working on the stay and he sometimes goes to his pillow when told, but doesn't stay there very long. I am still thinking about sending him to school.

<

sandsprayer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kent WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
You may be a one-man wolf pack, but you also have a partner!

<

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Ranger Danger is about 95 pounds and the biggest Shepard I think I have ever seen. He is still just a big goofy bundle of love everyone and everything, which I suppose is ideal for a dog as big, strong and as fast as he is. He has a mouth like a alligator, but is a gentle giant. When he gets wound up, he looses focus and I have to sneak up on him to grab him while at dog parks or around a bunch of people. Had him at Ocean Beach dog beach yesterday and he nearly pulled my arms out of their sockets. Can't take him off a leash in a open area.

With all that, today he was dropped off at Off-Leash K9 for his two week board and train. He didn't seem to mind being left with someone else, but I will miss him. The trainer says he will be too busy to miss us that much. They guarantee he will not need a leash ever again, and its a lifetime guarantee. I have never had a professionally trained dog so I thought this big dummy would be a good one to have trained. He is so big he could hurt someone by accident just trying to make friends.
20210830_080313.jpg

See you in two weeks Ranger. We will be getting daily pictures and video of his progress.

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Charlotte left the gate to the yard wide open the other night. The next morning I let the dogs out as usual. After a little while I realized no one was coming back to the door and I got a bad feeling about it so I threw my clothes on and headed out to check the gate. Well, my jaw dropped and I took off running. Thankfully Clyde is so slow these days he only made it to the neighbor right next door, Gypsy was at the end of the road just about to make the turn towards the main road. I called her and for the FIRST TIME EVER she turned around and came back. I just started walking towards the house and they both followed.

The last few times she got out I grabbed lunch meat from the fridge so I could throw it at her when I got close! That gained me time to get up to her and grab her collar. She has always been an escape artist, and of course Clyde follows along.

<

sandsprayer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kent WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
That's cool Brian!
You will notice a more confident dog in 2 weeks.
We took Klaus back to Off Leash for a tune up- my fault, lost my touch working the collar. 2 hours later we had it.

I just started walking towards the house and they both followed.
That's a pack leader!

<

<

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
That before was hilarious, but that after is very impressive! That's going to be nice to have him so in control and attentive to you.

I've never had a professionally trained dog either, but after seeing this, I may just have to take Dexter to one. i've got someone coming to the house next week to start on some issues I'm having, but man, that would be nice to have your dog come home behaving like that...

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
That trainer does great work. :chug:

<

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
We spent several hours with the trainer, then took him to the dog park. He comes when called, and stays nearby when not under command. That's all I really wanted, but I got a bunch of other stuff too. He now sit-stays, down-stays, place-stays (you point to something and he sits on it until released), leaves stuff alone when told to, etc.

While we were working with him, a little tyke ran up to him and he reacted by going over towards her. I said "Ranger, Leave it" and he came right back to where he was before he broke commands. Its going to be some work on my part keeping him trained up, but its fun to have a dog that minds all the time.

<

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
That is excellent, well done.

<

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Working him at the park this morning. He tested me a little at the beginning, then realized I wasn't going to let him get away with anything while we were working anymore. Was near perfect after that. You can actually see when his little tiny brain when it goes into overload and its time to let him run around a little.
About 200' distance between us
20210921_100453 (Medium).jpg

He is in the shade in the middle of the picture in "down". I walked around for about five minutes while he stayed there and he only looked away for a few seconds a few times.
20210921_102309 (Medium).jpg

The problem I am having now is people want to come up and talk about him, or let their little kids pet him while we are working. I am polite and let them know he just got finished with a two week training session and we are working. He has always attracted attention because he is handsome and real big. People want to know what breed he is, and I really don't know. "Shepard and something big" is usually my response.

When I get home I always let him know that home is his safe place to wander around and be a dog, all within reason. No more digging or tearing up stuff. I have him down at the open garage door while I go get the trash cans and he will stay there even when I am out of view.

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
That's cool. Much less stressful dealing with a dog that minds. To me he looks like a white shepard mixed with a "normal" shepard.

<

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
The Catahoula we have just wants to tear off when she gets out the front door. Sit and stay? No way.. We have to practice 4 on the floor, and stay alot with her (constantly) So, she's never off the leash when she is not in the backyard.

catahoula-sit-stay.jpg

Describes the problem pretty good for a Catahoula Leopard..

The local rescues will not place a Catahoula with you unless you have had a high-strung dog before (previous was a German Shorthaired Pointer) along with requirements.

<

Allen Clark

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
Working him at the park this morning. He tested me a little at the beginning, then realized I wasn't going to let him get away with anything while we were working anymore. Was near perfect after that. You can actually see when his little tiny brain when it goes into overload and its time to let him run around a little.
About 200' distance between us
View attachment 342698

He is in the shade in the middle of the picture in "down". I walked around for about five minutes while he stayed there and he only looked away for a few seconds a few times.
View attachment 342699
The problem I am having now is people want to come up and talk about him, or let their little kids pet him while we are working. I am polite and let them know he just got finished with a two week training session and we are working. He has always attracted attention because he is handsome and real big. People want to know what breed he is, and I really don't know. "Shepard and something big" is usually my response.

When I get home I always let him know that home is his safe place to wander around and be a dog, all within reason. No more digging or tearing up stuff. I have him down at the open garage door while I go get the trash cans and he will stay there even when I am out of view.

It seems like you are having a great time training this dog. He looks well-behaved in these photos.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sandsprayer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kent WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
The Catahoula we have just wants to tear off when she gets out the front door. Sit and stay? No way.. We have to practice 4 on the floor, and stay alot with her (constantly) So, she's never off the leash when she is not in the backyard.

View attachment 342708

Describes the problem pretty good for a Catahoula Leopard..

The local rescues will not place a Catahoula with you unless you have had a high-strung dog before (previous was a German Shorthaired Pointer) along with requirements.
I trained a Cat Hound for a Federal Officer. It's possible, however it took an hour of play time w/ my Shepherd followed by about 20 minutes of me in a bite suit wrestling the hell outta him.
3 weeks later his wife called asking how the hell I did it.
When he would be on assignment she would have to shine a laser around the backyard to get him worn down and behave

<